Help with Updating my computer

draik

Baseband Member
Can Anyone Help me?

I am throwing one of a few things around in my head involving my computer. I am either wanting to upgrade some parts in my current dell computer, buy a new computer, or build a whole new one. My first thought as to upgrading some of my parts are that I own a dell. Can I buy parts such as a new video card and hard drive and install them into my dell without having an issue or do I have to buy directly from dell? What It looks like to me is that if I buy from dell it costs more than if I don't. So that is my first issue that I would like to handle is that can i buy non-dell products for my dell.

Yes, you don't have to go through Dell--although warranty issues may come up. Video card, hard drives, RAM, CPU can all be upgraded wihtout going through Dell. www.newegg.com is the best place to get them.

So what would be some of the things I would want to replace. I have 1.25 gigs ram on my computer currently. 2.4 ghz speed, and its a dimension 4600. I have 40 gigs of hard drive space which I want to upgrade, and I def need a new video card and possibly a motherboard. But from what I have read I think I would getting in over my head with alot fo stuff, due to the fact I have to make sure things are compatible with other things, and then installing certain things on ym computer. A new hard drive would mean a loss of all my current information.

If you're going to upgrade the motherboard, you might as well upgrade everything else too. The new motherboards are very good and loaded with features and performance. I think what you have is fine and that the only thing I really see that needs upgrading is your video card. I'm not sure what video slot you have available. Do you have an AGP port or does your motherboard support PCI-express x16?

Its about 3 or 4 year old computer so alot of its parts do need updating. And thanks for checking for me :).

I have currently 1200 dollars to do something with. I will have a few hundred more in about a week, and my 21st birthday is coming up on the 23rd, so I am gonna have some more from that. So basically I am trying to figure out if building it or buying a new one is gonna be the answer for me, or if replacing parts on my current dell would be a better idea. What I do want to do no matter what I do is increase my hard drive space, get a new video card(play World of Warcraft and Age of Empires Series, and a 3 to 4 year old video card isnt cutting it), get some more ram, and a new speaker system. I am thinking that with those kind of things it would be easier to just build a gaming computer from scratch instead of throwing new stuff into an old computer, true or not? Currently I am visiting my family so I am away form my computer, but I am also encountering a problem with my computer. My uncle has called me and told me that my computer went to a blue screen and said soemthing about dumping physical memory due to an error, and it occassionaly messages him telling him about trying to clean something. I know this alot to ppost about and is more than one issue, but I got alot going on right now =P. Thanks for your help guys.

Also because its an AGP does that mean I cant use PCI express video cards?

Ok, so wat kind of motherboards could I pick up for my dell dimension 4600? And what graphics cards could I get to go along with it? Also about the my previous post about the physical memory dump my computer was going through, what do I do about that?

Back
Top Bottom