Trouble resetting Admin password in 2k pro

Nimandir

Baseband Member
Okay, I got a free computer from my dad today. His office is upgrading and one of the tech guys there gave it to my dad. Seeing that I'm running an old Gateway with 500MHz processor, he decided to give it to me. It has Windows 2000 Pro on it and I can't log in. I've been googling around and found this site:

[/url]http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/[/url]

I got to step 2, but I can't get it to work. I can see:

=========================================================
. Step TWO: Select PATH and registry files
=========================================================
What is the path to the registry directory? (relative to windows disk)
[windows/system32/config] :

I can't get past that at all. I've tried:

windows/system32/config
C:/windows/system32/config
c:
Tried pressing just the enter key
Also tried pressing numbers 1-3 and it didn't do a thing.

just reinstall windows because that computer was on a network and whatnot so its kinda filled with spyware and stuff. so just reinstall windows on it.

I got past the problem I had. I was using windows/system32/config when I should have used winnt/system32/config. I've changed and blanked the passwords, but the changes will not stay.

Why doesnt ya dad ask the tech guys? I would do what Borat suggested and do a clean install.

your best bet is a fresh install of the OS, and get ahold of a good reg cleaner to make sure you are cleaning out all the junk left be the previous install, doing this will make sure your OS (operating system) will be free of errors.

~mr mixx~ said:
your best bet is a fresh install of the OS, and get ahold of a good reg cleaner to make sure you are cleaning out all the junk left be the previous install, doing this will make sure your OS (operating system) will be free of errors.

Doing a clean install will give him a fresh registry aswell, so theres no need for a registry cleaner

Just do a clean install of the OS, that's pretty much the answer to most problems :cool:

Back
Top Bottom