Guitar DVDs?

My geetar would fall apart, it's cheap. I had it in drop D with the thick strings and it was pulling so hard, I had to loosen them up.

wtf drop D is lower than standard so why would it be tighter? and drop d is only the bottom string (thickest one) tuned down a whole step. so what you on about dlew?

Actually... The thicker the strings you put on, the tighter it is going to be. For example if i have standard gauge 9 in drop D it will be loose. But if i have a more beefy gauge 11-13 the strings are going to be tighter. More pressure on the bridge, and the neck, your guitar will have to be tough or else it will flex.

Picture a bass. Those are thicker strings but they are tighter. Same principle. Thicker strings are tighter, and cause more pressure for lower tunings. So, in saying, 11-13 gauge strings are better for the lower tuning because you can down tune them and they will still be tight. So, overall thicker strings are better for lower tuning when 8-10 are better for standard and drop d.

If you are using 8-10 strings it is normal for the tuning of drop d to be loose. However, 11-13 gauge string they should be a little tighter. In Lower tunings. For instance, Drop C in gauges 11-13 should be about the same tightness as standard strings 8-10 in standard tunning. Don't believe, try it yourself.

definitely try youtube.com because they have almost everything and maby video.google.com

dorfman said:
Actually... The thicker the strings you put on, the tighter it is going to be. For example if i have standard gauge 9 in drop D it will be loose. But if i have a more beefy gauge 11-13 the strings are going to be tighter. More pressure on the bridge, and the neck, your guitar will have to be tough or else it will flex.

Picture a bass. Those are thicker strings but they are tighter. Same principle. Thicker strings are tighter, and cause more pressure for lower tunings. So, in saying, 11-13 gauge strings are better for the lower tuning because you can down tune them and they will still be tight. So, overall thicker strings are better for lower tuning when 8-10 are better for standard and drop d.

If you are using 8-10 strings it is normal for the tuning of drop d to be loose. However, 11-13 gauge string they should be a little tighter. In Lower tunings. For instance, Drop C in gauges 11-13 should be about the same tightness as standard strings 8-10 in standard tunning. Don't believe, try it yourself.
yeah but thats what the truss rod is for. to provide counter pressure. its hidden within the neck.

Yeah, it was bending the guitar in drop d so I went down to drop B and now everything's fine, except my 6th string is pretty loose now.

borat_sagdiyev said:
yeah but thats what the truss rod is for. to provide counter pressure. its hidden within the neck.

you could do that, and risk destorying/warping the neck of the guitar, then if you manage not to warp your neck, you have to retune everything, make sure you don't have any dead frets and fine tune all of the strings. When you just get a thicker/thiner strings. Unless of course you want to go through all of that trouble.

El_Zilcho said:
I'm trying to learn to play the guitar, and I'm wondering if anybody has had a good experience with any DVDs about learning to play electric guitar?

Well, since people did'nt answer your question...to the actual..point, a DVD, just go to your local guitar shop, usally..... they give you great advice, since it's there job. But if you want titles, the only advice for that is by known muso's, there is one electric guitarist, ive heard great things about and im pretty sure he has released a few Dvd's books and that, really can't remeber, but when i do im going to be getting a dvd by him i know that.
So by known, bands, muso's if they have a teaching Dvd of some type, eg; I heard and saw a quick pre-view, of Frost from Satyricon has a drumming Dvd out (^_^).
Personally i think that is among the best way to go when your in the "unknown" deep..

Oh and check out someone else ive fell upon; Steve MacKay, - Acoustic, but hey a guitar's a guitar =P..

borat_sagdiyev said:
start out with acoustic. strengthens your fingers.

Hmm yeah sure, everyone say's that, but from expierence, i seriously could of just got a electric for my first guitar but that's just me and what ive found. Now... if you have the money get acoustic and electric at.. basically the same time, then your set =P

Back
Top Bottom