new laptop choice!

jay8990

Daemon Poster
Well I feel I should start with the typical "hi im new here" line, even though Im not! But its been a good while since I've posted!

Anyway Im looking for a new laptop but dont know what to go for! Was going to post in the processor section seeing as how its basically a Turion x2 vs Core Duo Q! But other things come in too!!
I am very cost aware! (poor student :( ) Basically which system would be better....
--Turion X2 1.66 / ATI Xpress 1300 512MB
--Core Duo 1.66 / Intel GMA 950 224MB

Both laptops are Acer, come with 1GB RAM, 100GB HDD's, WiFi, etc... pretty much everything same!
Note it is Core Duo and not Core 2 Duo! Cant afford that :(
I read somewhere that Vista will run poor on the duo it not being 'true' 64 bit processing?
I intend to use the laptop for dvd watching/ light gaming (into old fps's)/ msn/ browsing etc

Thanks In advance! Lets see if any old members that I remember post! :)

I would get the AMD Turion, the graphics card and 64-bit processing is a plus. BTW welcome back :cool:

welcome back...

but if I had to pick any laptop, I would go with a macbook. and in the near future you will probably be able to dual boot Vista legally.

recon 16 said:
welcome back...

but if I had to pick any laptop, I would go with a macbook. and in the near future you will probably be able to dual boot Vista legally.
yeah that would be sweet, i would just stick with the mac part anyway. THe only problem is the pricetag of a mac

ok my I've narrowed it down to 2! Was quite surprised to find a core 2 duo under £600 but obviously the graphics is sacrified for cost!

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Toshiba_Satellite_Pro_A100_PSAACE-008002EN/version-1.asp

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Fujitsu_Siemens_Amilo_Pro_V3505_VFY:APED350566M2GB/version-1.asp

The Siemens has a core 2 Duo 1.66, with intel gma 950 128mb.
The Toshiba has a core duo 1.83, with ati x1400 up to 512mb.

(I know in the spec the toshiba only has 512 ram, but Id upgrade to 1gb right away! and it has a slightly smaller hdd, but with my 500gb nas drive that aint a prob!)

The Toshiba works out at £70 more expensive (with ram upgrade). Worth it?!?

Opinions? Or other suggestions in region of £550-£600

thanks

^Mike^ said:
yeah that would be sweet, i would just stick with the mac part anyway. THe only problem is the pricetag of a mac
actually you can get a mac book for 1 grand...

Back
Top Bottom