wireless network addon to normal

toolman

Beta member
hi there,
i have a network in my house and use a router to access broadband internet. Is it possible to somehow just add a wireless to the router or would i have to replace the router? In other words, can i have a normal connection AND a wireless one?

many thanks!

Yes you can. Depends though on how your original router issues ip addresses (static or dhcp) and which router you want to continue handling that.

Router A = original one and Router B = wireless router.

Suppose A (IP address: 192.168.0.1) is handling IP addresses via DHCP using 192.168.0.2 & up, then you would manually configure B's wan ip address with a static address of 192.168.0.2 with default gateway as 192.168.0.1. Turn off DHCP on B. Wireless pc's then should receive an ip address automatically from A via B once they connect to B with appropriate SSID & encryption password (WEP, WPA).

However, you may actually find it easier to just remove Router A and install Router B. Again, this depends on your needs from Router A.

sigh... u guys do such complicated things.
For the comp u want a wired connection... wire it. For the other one, if it is a new laptop, it should have an internal card to give u wi-fi/lan wireless a/b/g. check if ur router is compatible to any of those. if ur router/modem is (this occasion is rare) wireless n(n is only a prototype for the real thing coming 2007...commercial purposes) u need to buy an adapter that suits N. But if the desired wireless connection part is a pc, get a pci card. done.

well ... guess it depends on if his original ROUTER is a wireless ROUTER or not. If not, then he needs to install a wireless router. The suggestion I posted is correct, if he wants to add a wireless ROUTER to his existing ROUTER. I also suggested that he replace the original ROUTER with a wireless ROUTER, which would be considerably easier, and was his question. Can't very well add a wireless laptop to a non-wireless router. First things first. Nothing "complicated" about it.

Back
Top Bottom