what is a fanless cpu cooler? how do they work?

A fanless CPU cooler basically works from heatpipe technology alone.

Theres a gas inside the pipes that lifts hot air up, and out at the top basically, and the process just repeats and repeats through a natural process.

They tend to not need any fans, due to a large amount of heatpipes on the cooler itself, to get rid of enough heat.

Many say though, that if you are to do any overclocking, place a low speed fan on as well.

Even with heatpipe coolers, they can not dissipate heat fast enough from today's processors to be used without a fan. I would highly recommend you get a low speed fan with a heatpipe cooler.

are these the best type of coolers? if so why do they seem to be so unpopular? I have never heard people talk about these?

hmm depends on what you mean by best type, for instance liquid cooling probably can keep your cpu the coolest yet it is highly overpriced, many people use fans because they are easiest to use and are the cheapest option so depends , i have not had much experience with heatpipe cooling , i have only seen it in use once on a very old 1.7 celaron system so i cannot realy say if it is good or not based on this , but i would have thought it wouldnt offer enough cooling potential for high performance or overclocking

ive seen water cooling and on older machines they just use a heat sink... some new ones use cooling tubes which is cool

heatpipes are getting very popular now due to their efficiency. Water cooling is like heatpipes, but it uses a pump to pump....well...water. :D

Back
Top Bottom