DVD burner is no longer a burner???

band-aid

Baseband Member
I have a DVD burner that I have been using for about 5 years. Its not the greatest but I can't afford another one right now. Today I went to burn a data DVD and it would not work. I went through some of the windows help steps and it suggested I remove the device in device manager and let it be reinstalled after a restart. Well I did this and now it has become a regular CD rom drive with no burning capabilities at all. I would really like to get it working again because, since because I cannot get shared folders working, I have no other way to transfer files to my laptop. Thanks for the help.

Band-aid

What software are ya using to burn? It is possible that the burning laser has died, can you stick the drive in another computer and see if it works then. Also, whats the problem with the shared folders. And what OS are ya using?

I've go XP home on both my laptop and my desktop. I have a shared folder on my desktop with the files I need to transfer. The folder does not show up in my network places (they are in the same workgroup) and I cannot mount it as a network drive when I do

net use x: \\192.168.1.103\temp

which should work. I figured that burning the dvd would be less hastle but apparently not...

i'd say try a restore see if that changes the drive properties to burning (instead of just CD-ROM)

also, see if taking canned air to the drive can clean off the head and make burning work. its a long shot, but if the head is dirty and can't burn, that should clear it.

try to use a program like nero to do it, or something, this worked for me when i had the same problem...

yay I tried nero and it worked! I had to remove the drive again and reinstall it and this time it was recognized correctly. I've lost a lot of faith in plug and play in the past few days. When I tried to use my PCMCIA wireless card it installed the spanish drivers...

On the subject of the shared folders. Yes I have a username and password set up on both computers.

Are ya usernames and passwords exactly the same on both computers when you log on, can you ping the other computer. Might also be worth doing ipconfig command on both computers and posting the results to see if that gives us any clues

Back
Top Bottom