Does anyone make a USB/firewire laptop charger?

tokuzumi

Beta member
The A/C adapter on my laptop is loose, and my laptop will go off of A/C power, and run on batteries. That is fine if I am using the computer, as I can wiggle the plug on the back a little bit, and things are fine. But if I am running a process overnight, the laptop will hibernate when the battery gets too low. Is there a way I can charge my laptop battery through the USB/firewire port? I have done a google search, but have not come back with anything yet.

Never heard of a USB charger. I had a similar problem with my laptop and it was the power cord causing the problem (i tested it with a multimeter)

Raffaz said:
Never heard of a USB charger. I had a similar problem with my laptop and it was the power cord causing the problem (i tested it with a multimeter)

I thought it was my power adapter, also, because it was making a clicking sound sometimes. I ordered a replacement, and while the clicking noise is gone, the plug still wiggles around, and doesn't make a connection. And Emachines doesn't have any diagrams on how to disassemble the laptop available to me, so I don't know if the a/c plug on the laptop is servicable. Next laptop needs to have a docking station available. One of life's little lessons. :rolleyes:

If the actual plug on the laptop is loose, you may need to send it back to get it serviced.

its actually physically impossible to charge through usb because

1. not enough power goes through usb to actually charge it properly/would take too long
2. usb isnt connected directly to the power on the battery.

but with some technical knowhow, you could resolder yourself a usb-power cord thingy but it would fry in a matter of miliseconds as the power cable inside the main usb cable (theres 4 tiny 1mm cables inside the main big covering) is only 1mm thick and it wont take much to fry it

usb.gif

Inside a USB cable: There are two wires for power -- +5 volts (red) and ground (brown) -- and a twisted pair (yellow and blue) of wires to carry the data. The cable is also shielded.

Back
Top Bottom