I'm looking for a wireless card to go with a Linksys WRT54G.

mrchainsaw

Baseband Member
I have a Linksys WRT54G and laptop, but no wireless card. This would probably be the safest bet for compability or whatever, but is the reception range good? Are there other cards at that price or lower that are better? I'd prefer to spend $50 or less.

That's a good card, but there are other wireless adapter that are less. It just depends if you want PCMICA expansion cards or USB adapters like this one:

D-Link DWL-G122 IEEE 802.11b/g USB 2.0 High Speed 2.4GHz Wireless Adapter up to 54Mbps Data Rates 64/128-bit WEP WPA—Wi-Fi Protected Access - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833127151

$17.99, USB wireless adapter for laptops and dekstop PCs. That's an excellent price. I have that one.

TRDCorolla said:
That's a good card, but there are other wireless adapter that are less. It just depends if you want PCMICA expansion cards or USB adapters like this one:

D-Link DWL-G122 IEEE 802.11b/g USB 2.0 High Speed 2.4GHz Wireless Adapter up to 54Mbps Data Rates 64/128-bit WEP WPA—Wi-Fi Protected Access - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833127151

$17.99, USB wireless adapter for laptops and dekstop PCs. That's an excellent price. I have that one.
Would that be able to pick up a signal from far away? I'm wary of D-Link because I bought a wireless router from them that annoyed me to no end.

Why are PCMCIA cards more expensive than that?

Yeah, seems like it does. I use to live in an apartment before with that D-Link adapter and somehow, I picked up 4 different signals somewhere within the complex(which I used and never have to pay for Internet while I was there). Now, I'm upstairs and the router is downstairs somewhere. Signal is excellent (that's what is says in the bottom right hand corner). I even used it on my laptop outside in the backyard (I don't really need it since my laptop have built in wireless feature, but I just want to mess with it). Again, excellent signal. It's that good.

Laptop stuff are always more expensive than desktop items for some reason. Even the hard drives, RAM, etc. It's just the way it is.

umm its better to get usb because u can get a usb extension cable and u can put it wherever you want on your desk for better reception :)

I've never used a PCMCIA wireless adapter before. My friend has one and she says it works great. I'll take her word for it :p. I like the USB version becomes they come with a USB dongle in which it can be extended within so many feet for better reception.

I'm having a really hard time deciding between a USB adapter and a PCMCIA card. USB adapters can be used on any computer, can be moved for better reception, and they're slightly cheaper. PCMCIA cards are only for laptops, a little more expensive, and can't be moved but it seems like they'd be better with laptops since that's all they're made for.

So USB adapters get good reception and are equal with PCMCIA card's reception? If they're equal USB would make sense, but if PCMCIA is better then it makes sense. I hate making hard decisions!

I don't see how PCMCIA cards are any better than the USB counterpart. If anything, I read they have poorer reception (from reviews).

TRDCorolla said:
I don't see how PCMCIA cards are any better than the USB counterpart. If anything, I read they have poorer reception (from reviews).
It's just hard for me to believe that a USB stick can pick up a signal better than a card that goes in the slot built for internet connection.

Are USB adapters easy to setup? Do they demand more of the laptop's resources than a PCMCIA card?

EDIT: Is this a USB adapter? It says bluetooth so I'm not sure. If it would work fine with my laptop for wireless internet I'll probably get it since it's Linksys and it has an antenna that will make me feel better about my decision.

EDIT #2: Also, will a 2.0 USB adapter work with my laptop if it only has 1.1 USB ports?

Back
Top Bottom