Help- Computer Short

leanto442

Solid State Member
I accidentally shorted my system a little when I was adjusting my case (bad design, exposed metal connectors near aluminum case). My computer started flickering on and off rapidly, so I pulled the plug, made sure the metal was no longer in contact, and restarted. The computer will not start from being off (If i shut it down, and then turn it back on, it sits there, with the hard drive light on, but the monitor doesn't come on, windows doesn't load, etc.) If I hit the reset button, or tell it simply to restart, then it comes up fine.

Initially, after this happened, my date and time were reset back to 12 Am 2002. My desktop settings were untouched. My speaker/integrated sound card settings were back to the default 2 speaker instead of the 5.1 surround. I'm typing this on the machine now, and everything else (so far as I can tell) seems normal. I went in and reset the BIOs time (it was causing a windows error- which it resolved). I don't know how to correct the startup problem though, and I don't know what it means. Does anyone have any idea? Thanks.

OK. I figured out the mobo jumper approach. According to my motherboard documentation, resetting the CMOS will reset the system clock and bios, which is done by shorting the jumpers. I think I may have done something like that when I shorted this out in the first place- it has the same symptoms. I went back into the BIOS. I noticed my CD-RW drive was listed first in the boot section, so I made the HDD first and the cd second. I made sure the master/slave settings were correct. It's set to halt on all but disk/keyboard, on APIC interrupt mode, and the quick power self test is enabled. I don't know enough about those and other settings to know of they're right. My guess is that when I shorted it, I did reset the bios settings. With that in mind, are there any other options?

If you had reset the CMOS as you said. You would have received a message about your settings and that ya need to press F1 to continue. If ya didnt get that message, then short the jumper and try ya system then.

Back
Top Bottom