Building a rig MYSELF?

JikuzeN

Daemon Poster
Hey, the guy thats helping me build my rig, dosen't have time to help me.. soooo do you rekon i could build my rig myself , with just the instalation manual provided with the mobo, and a 2005 "building a pc in easy steps" book?. Is there anything i should be cautious of? (i find the thermal paste step .. intimidating. Is setting up the bios confusing?.

Cheers. :)

Should be straightforward, just take ya time, read the instructions, and then read them again to double check. Dont force anything in, if its meant to connect somewhere then it will. The BIOS will probably be setup for you, you may need to change boot order for installing ya OS, but unless ya overclocking, then ya shouldnt need to alter anything

Raffaz said:
Dont force anything in, if its meant to connect somewhere then it will.

that's usually true. But 1st I had to cut the plug of the wire that takes electricity to the vid card with a knife for maybe 10mins, and still push it so hard that 1 of my fingers started to bleed to get it into my vid card. :D

Everything is pretty simple, and the thermal paste is probably the hardest part, but it shouldn't be so hard either, and if you screw up you can always try again.
And the bios is almost always ready to go, no set set up needed.
And remember to ground yourself before touching the hardware, just touch a metal part of the case and you are ready to go.

And the mobo manuals are usually extremely good, so you shouldn't have any problems, and if you do then just post here.

Especially if you bought an OEM processor it comes with a thermal pad on the hsf, so you wouldn't even need to put thermal paste on.

Its really simple...

What you could do is take pics of each part and post them here, and we willl be like you take this part and stick it there..

Lol we can make things easy like that..

One of the easiest ways to do the thermal paste, is to wear a latex glove (to prevent impurities contaminating the paste) and spread the paste with ya finger evenly.

building a computer is simple, I have built one my self, and helped with a friend. People don't know how easy it is

hascet said:
Especially if you bought an OEM processor it comes with a thermal pad on the hsf, so you wouldn't even need to put thermal paste on.

I think you mean retail instead of oem. But I'd still apply the paste myself, just clean the heatsink and then apply the new thermal paste.

Haha, thanks for all the posts, you guys make it sound easy... how much thermal paste do you need to apply to dual core CPUs?, i heard something about a straight line down across the cores?. I'll be using a old credit card to spread the thermal paste.

Do you have to spread it out like this:

g_PASTE.jpg

Or can it be messy like this:

p4_04_thermal_paste.jpg

Am applying this onto a Intel Core2. Thanks

mammikoura said:
I think you mean retail instead of oem. But I'd still apply the paste myself, just clean the heatsink and then apply the new thermal paste.

Ya sry I guess I meant retail, I just installe da Core 2 Duo yesterday, and if your not picky about using the thermal pad, i'm not sure if it improves temps but as long as your not seriously overclocking you should be fine with using it, my cpu temp is 39C, and i'm using the pad, so I guess its personal preference...

If you use the paste make sure it is evenly spread out like the first picture you have there^

Back
Top Bottom