Can't boot up or re-install Windows XP

Phumfeinz

Baseband Member
Earlier my computer crashed. Completely out of the blue, it went to the BSOD and then reset.

Now it won't boot up. It gets to the loading screen, flashes a BSOD for less than a second, and reboots. I think the BSOD was KERNEL_INPAGE_DATA_ERROR.

So, I put in the Windows XP disc and try to do a fresh installation. It gets to a page which reads on the bottom:

Examining 78160 MB Disk 0 at Id 2 on bus 0 on viasraid...

and stays there for about 20 minutes. When that finally moves on, it comes to the partition screen. When I try to install Windows XP though, it says:

An error occurred while setup was updating partition information on:
78160 MB Disk 0 at Id 2 on bus 0 on viasraid (MBR).
Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3.

It's a S-ATA HDD. I've tried unplugging it, changing the cable, taking out the RAM to see if it has anything to do with it, but to no avail.

Help will be greatly appreciated.

Are you setting up RAID? Not sure of ya mobo, but alot of them have SATA connections for RAID and nonRAID on the mobo. So if ya have it connected to one of the RAID connectors, then ya will need to install the RAID drivers first. What mobo have ya got? Double check to see if ya have done that.

I'm not setting up RAID, it's just the one HDD I've always used. The weird thing is, I've done the same re-installation in exactly the same way (same cables, HDD, HDD drivers) on this computer numerous times. Why it's failing to work this time doesn't make sense.

It's an Asus K8V-X.

Try using the HDD manufacturers diagnostic tool to check it, and then do a low level format of the drive (if it passes) and then do ya clean install

Phumfeinz said:
Earlier my computer crashed. Completely out of the blue, it went to the BSOD and then reset.

Now it won't boot up. It gets to the loading screen, flashes a BSOD for less than a second, and reboots. I think the BSOD was KERNEL_INPAGE_DATA_ERROR.

So, I put in the Windows XP disc and try to do a fresh installation. It gets to a page which reads on the bottom:

Examining 78160 MB Disk 0 at Id 2 on bus 0 on viasraid...

and stays there for about 20 minutes. When that finally moves on, it comes to the partition screen. When I try to install Windows XP though, it says:

An error occurred while setup was updating partition information on:
78160 MB Disk 0 at Id 2 on bus 0 on viasraid (MBR).
Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3.

It's a S-ATA HDD. I've tried unplugging it, changing the cable, taking out the RAM to see if it has anything to do with it, but to no avail.

Help will be greatly appreciated.
can you tell me what beeps you get when you first boot up the tower ?,also can you reverse the ram if you have two inserted in the slots,let me know more whats happening after this.

There's just one beep.

I tried booting into safe mode, but it hangs at a file called gagp30kx.sys before rebooting.

When I try to install Windows onto the HDD, tt appears to be partitioned already, but there's no drive directory. It used to be C:, but now it just comes up as -:. If I try to delete it it says I can't. This has really stumped me. I hope I don't have to waste any xmas cash on a new HDD.

Phumfeinz said:
There's just one beep.

I tried booting into safe mode, but it hangs at a file called gagp30kx.sys before rebooting.

When I try to install Windows onto the HDD, tt appears to be partitioned already, but there's no drive directory. It used to be C:, but now it just comes up as -:. If I try to delete it it says I can't. This has really stumped me. I hope I don't have to waste any xmas cash on a new HDD.
Did you do as i told U to,Well u told me U beeped anyway,What did i say about the the ram ? sorry dont like to be a DIk at christmas but follow my directions if you want some thing fixed.Thanks

Yeah sorry I didn't say. I swapped the sticks around, tried it with one stick in, everything I could do really. No luck.

Phumfeinz said:
Yeah sorry I didn't say. I swapped the sticks around, tried it with one stick in, everything I could do really. No luck.
tell me did u oc at anytime

Back
Top Bottom