Microsoft Word

Captain Pooka

Daemon Poster
I have run up on alot of people, friends, that have typed papers in microsoft word, thought they saved it, but didnt.

I ask them, "Didn't it prompt you when closing it saying 'Do you want to save'?" and they say no.

My question is, for all of these people out there, is there any known way to get back the information that you accidentally didn't save? Are there temporary files? is there a command on Microsoft Word (Tools>Options>Save)
where it will save as a temporary file every so often?

[(save auto recovery info every: _ minutes) how does taht work and where does it "save" to?]

this question is for many more people than me :D

thanks

-Q

lol. interesting point, man. I would like to know that too but I dont think that if you did accedently didn't save a file that you can get it back. But, what do I know. lol

First thing to know, are they saving it to My docs or some CD? If they are saving it to the computer it might be ok. microsoft word has a cool little skill where it Automatically saves working data every few mins or seconds. Now if for some reason your PC shuts down due to blackout or machine turns off, word is smart enough to keep the last saved file handy for you.

Ya, normally if the computer is shut down when you open up word again it asks if you'de like to recover the lost data and will have a toolbar on the side of the window with the last documents you were working on...thats what happens with my word. I use Microsoft Office 2003 Pro.

If the user prompts that they do not want to keep the data, it's gone. Trust me on this, we learnt about it in BTEC.

no, they're not prompting not to save, the box isnt coming up at all that asks you to save.

And yes, it saves every couple minutews or whatever, but where? and how do you set where?

Do you know the file name? You could just do a simple search for the file. Or go back into Word and just press "save as" doing this will show you the most common place it saves to or the last place it saved data to.

you can tell it to auto save every so often in the Tools>Options>save tab

That doesnt save it into your documents or where ever you default save place is.. I dont know where it saves to.
And Im talking about when you dont save a file, it still saves it every so often, and it wont have a file name, so theres nothing so search for...that we know.

who wrote Microsoft Word :p lets ask him.

As far as i know, the autosave will save it to where it was saved to start with

And no, if you don't save it, there is no way to get it back. Thats why a good rule of thumb is to set the autosave or else manually save it every 5 mins or so.

Back
Top Bottom