Physics card with regular graphics card.

I would imagine so. But the card may not support it, but still work. it would be slightly pointless!

I'm not quite sure on the technology behind a physics card. It's suppose to be a graphics card, but some doesn't have any ports on the back to support a monitor. That's why I'm thinking that you'll need a regular video card in there somewhere.

The physics card is an extra gpu, it takes a process and does it so the graphics card processor has more power to concentrate on graphics...its just so you get better fps

EDIT--> to answer your question, yes they can be used side by side in the same machine, thats actually what they're meant for

yeah, hascet explained it pretty well. You always need a vid card, and then the physics card is optional. It calculates stuff (maybe physics? :D) so it takes care of some work that would otherwise end up for the gpu. More time for the gpu to do it's own job -> higher fps. (unless something else than the gpu is limiting the fps)

Cool stuff. I had no idea it was used that way. Good info. So if it's really that good, shouldn't a majority of us or gamers have the physics card installed? Now I'm thinking of getting one.

I'm pretty sure it's just like an independent CPU that works solely on the variables in the game to take some of the load off the CPU and RAM. Kinda like how the new Killer NIC has a processor on it to handle all the networking by itself, so your CPU and RAM don't have to work on that. I don't think you need either one of those, really. If you have a decent machine you're fine. It's a pretty niche product at the moment because only a few games actually make use of it.

Click me, list of games

I wish all games could take advantage of the physics card. I'm just getting into this kind of stuff. Are the Ageia the only company that makes physics card? I'm looking off of Newegg and looks like there aren't a whole lot of selection to choose from.

Uh-oh, I'm getting a lot of these error messages again:

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 10 seconds exceeded in c:\program files\apache group\apache\htdocs\computerforums\includes\db_mysql.php on line 212

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 10 seconds exceeded in c:\program files\apache group\apache\htdocs\computerforums\includes\functions.php on line 490

Back
Top Bottom