Bandwidth?

HighCommander4

Beta member
I know this may be a very basic question, but here we go:

What is bandwidth and what does it mean that I have a Internet bandwidth limit of, say, 4 GB/week? Is there a way to measure/keep track of how much bandwidth I use?

I think having 4GB/week limit means that you can download 4gb of stuff every week. Don't know if it limits the upload. And yeah, there has to be some programs to measure it, just google and you should find something.

sorry for my lack of knowledge, we don't have any limits like that here so I don't know much about them.

Yes thats right, i get a 20gb/month bandwidth limit (incoming only), which anything more than that i go to dialup speed....there are numerous Widgets that calculate the data....also if you are with a popular ISP, they sometimes release software or FIreFox add-ons to keep track of it.

Matt

Yeah i think its called capped internet, I download loads, so i use uncapped.

how do I find out what my band with is? and what yall are saying is that you can only download your bandwith per month

say my family has 4gb of bandwidth... we have 4 computers and my brother downloads stuff off of limewire.. does that count? and once we download more than 4gb what happens?

-Q

p.s. I am a noob :)

Captain Pooka said:
how do I find out what my band with is? and what yall are saying is that you can only download your bandwith per month

say my family has 4gb of bandwidth... we have 4 computers and my brother downloads stuff off of limewire.. does that count? and once we download more than 4gb what happens?

-Q

p.s. I am a noob :)

Well, it all depends on your ISP...ill give you a couple of examples....

Mine, for example (Aussie broadband is crap)...i can download 25gb a month, anything after that will be capped to dial-up speeds...I also have 3 computers on my network, and each computer contributes to the download quota

Another example...That the ISP will give you, say 15gb inclusive downloads a month, and anything exceeding that, will cost more money, for example $50/gb (thats AUD lol)

Most ISP's only count download quota, not uploads, although the leading ISP, and probably the worst :p, counts both, so check with your ISP to be sure. Most people in the US and most other countries get unlimited internet for quite cheap, which means they can download as many gigbytes of data as they wish, with no consequences...Hope this sums it up for you, any other questions, please ask

Matt

Back
Top Bottom