Internet Problems...

Bosox0123

Baseband Member
So I just finished my first build, and windows installed fine, but this morning when I plugged in my etihernet nothing happened. I have tried all the wizards to create a connection but so far I have had no luck. My parents are both are wireless connections for work purposes so we use a router that is in my room. Im not sure how much that would complicate things.

But any help would be great!

well, since you built your computer your Network card may not be installed right.
When you plug in a ethy cable the lights on the card goes on. If your internet works for your parents it should work for you without fault right away.
I dont know if your parents know this but a wired connection is 89 mb/s faster than wireless (on average).

Well I look at the back of the computer and the mobo reconizes the ethernet cable in the back and a light flickers, but other then that it shows no life of an internet connection.

im on my gfs laptop right now, let me try some things and ill give you some suggestions..

alright, off the top of my head,

try running the network set up wizard, and join the same workgroup as your parents.

If you have a crossover cable handy, (if your parents have a laptop) Try hooking the cable between the 2 and see if you get a connection then.

Haha, I am kind of new with this setting up network things, is there a way, you can give me step by step help?

Have you got the drivers installed for the network card? Have a look in device manager and confirm this?

My Network Places >

Network Setup Wizard>

next>

next>

(you might want to ckeck the box that says Ignore disconnected network hardware.. if your NIC isn't working, but it is.) click the one thats there Next>

Click view example on both, I think it will probably be the second one or other for you - Next>

Put your name computer and then make up a computer name next>

Next
(we will worry about workgroup later)>

you can turn on printer sharing if you like-Next>

Next (it will creat the network)and just finish choice.. finish> restart

ok, now right click your moms computer
(her My Computer) go to properties>Computer name and see what work group shes on, then go to your computer sdo the same thing and chage your workgroup to hers>restart

I thought you did have your drivers installed :p
Right click my comp> properties>hardware>Device Manager>Network Adapters

Update all those if you already have them.

All I have for options at the network place screen is: Add Network Place, View Network Connections, Setup home or small office, Set Up Wireless, view workgroup computers, show icons.

Am I missing some sort of hardware?

Back
Top Bottom