PS3 vs Wii

Renegadeandy just bought a Wii, haven't played on it yet. I saw one in action in a shop today actually, the only time I've ever seen store staff actually supervise people trying consoles out. They were playing Bowls on Wii Sports, looked pretty cool.

Anyways... Sony: Betamax. Walkman. Minidisc. SonicStage. DRM rootkits. Notice a pattern? They all failed. Simply because Sony were too greedy to licence the technology to anyone else which, in turn, led to rising supply and support for rival formats like VHS etc. SonicStage was just awful software, and rootkits are spyware.

The same could well happen with BluRay, if Sony aren't careful. It could be a big waste of time and money. And I'm not hearing people everywhere raving about the PS3, it's not gone off with much of a bang IMHO.

MikeReiner said:
First off, I want you to know I rewrote this whole post before submitting.. it was a bit more... blunt.

Now, sure my blu-ray failing argument wasn't worth much, but honestly dude, it was an opinion, a freaking OPINION, you didn't need to burn me over it.
Why is it logical for one to think that sony's new format will fail? Their ACC and UMD formats failed, MISERABLY. it's LOGICAL.

Next, it's the way I look at it, again, it was my opinion.

Notice something there? is it a crime to share my opinion with people?
I've got no problem with you telling me I'm wrong, that would be you disagreeing, and if you were mature and constructive about it, I would respect your opinion.

And your final point about my shitty opinion on boasting... I didn't say my ideology was to settle on 'less' but to settle I what I 'want', I don't give two shits for all that media crap in the system churning up the price, I want to play a god damn video game, and spending more money on features that I'll never use sounds pretty retarded, just like buying a copy of Windows.

(Remember, it's my opinion, you don't have to respond saying something like "What, so now sony and MS should put out like 4 or 5 different versions of their consoles to please people like you??")

I'm not impressed with your negative criticism. You could have disagreed with me, but you didn't need to be like this. If this is all your criticism abilities amount to, then your opinion and advice is pretty much useless.

I'm sick of talking to people who think they are always dealing with idiots and that they are the only smart people.. thats how you approached me, and granted you didn't know me, but I would never approach a stranger and act like you do.

Reply if you wish, but I won't respond to people who can't even carry on a constructive conversation.

Again, I was gonna be more blunt.. but you simply aren't worth getting banned over. You proved you aren't worth that much.

With all that aside, lets get back on topic.

The Wii:
I thought that thing had ports on it somewhere to plug in gamecube controllers.. when I was playing with my friend's Wii, I couldn't see them anywhere.. are they on the bottom or something? I heard it's backwards compatible with gamecube games..

And what about the compatibility with the PS3? The ps2 could play PS1 games, but I heard something somewhere that the PS3 is having trouble with that.

im sorry i hurt your feelings :(

did you want some milk and cookies as well? :D ...jk

in the post above you basically just said "im not going to say this but...." its up to me to be harsh or not, i mean if i feel like something is silly or misleading, ill point it out. but anyways the harshness was against the opinions and views you posted not against you, so i hope you're not taking this too personaly.

Milk and cookies are badass.

You may be right that it was silly or misleading, I just didn't think you pointed it out in a very good way :|
regardless, I didn't take it personal. I'm just a bit more anal when i'm bored out of my skull, been sick for 5 days now, and i'm gonna die from boredom here soon... BlahH

i've been sick 2..missed the last 2 days of school this week (tuesday/wednesday), got sick on monday...food poisoning. getting pretty good i think.

TRDCorolla said:
Lol:

"Sony executive Phil Harrison has made some brash comments about the Cell processor and the PlayStation 3.

Harrison says that the current PS3 game lineup is using less than half of the machines power, adding that 'nobody will ever use 100 percent of its capacity.' Is he right? 'The major reason Harrison wants to hype up the "unlimited" potential of the PS3's architecture is to downplay comparisons between games running on Sony's console and Microsoft's Xbox 360. The two systems are not completely dissimilar: they both contain a PowerPC core running at 3.2 GHz, both have similarly-clocked GPUs, and both come with 512 MB of RAM."

Wow, the PS3 already look super good the way it is. If that statement's true, I can't wait to see it at its full potential.

Gears of War is probably using 40%-50% of the Xbox 360's full power. The only thing that comes close to pushing the Xbox 360 is the HD-DVD player. Since the console itself does all the heavy lifting, all the hardware is being used.

Does that mean in that case, that when a computer plays a DVD, its using up more resources than a game would?

I can watch a DVD while doing loads on my computer, and doubt a HD-DVD would use up much more.

That statement above though, I think is false. Have you seen MotorStorm? I'm pretty sure thats using alot of its power.

Plus... think about it this way.

If a game ever used 100% of a consoles capacity, the game wouldn't run very well would it, if the graphics card was struggling, and the CPU was struggling. Thats what 100% would mean :p

So putting it that way, no it won't...

EDIT:

If you check on IGN, there are rumours of the Xbox 360, gaining the games that were going to be just exclusive to the PS3, including a rumour, that Metal Gear Solid could come to 360, and that Virtua Fighter 5 will (which it is)

Oh, and has anyone heard the rumour that a November 2007 UK release has been talked of?

720p videos don't take up much resources on my PC, I doubt 1080p would take that much more.

Look at this way kage..

If you run say.. quake4 on your PC, at like 1280x1024 resolution, and your framerate is 40.. then you lower the res to 1024x768 and get 60 fps.. wouldn't that sill be using everything your graphics card is capable of? I mean it would still have a good framerate.. but it would be giving all it's got.. thats what computers do..

Cept in the case of the 360 I think they are referring to CPU power.. apparently game developers haven't quite figured out how to use those what, 2 or 3 dual core processors or w/e the hell is in there to their fullest extent, meaning they haven't mastered multi threaded code for game engines.

"If you run say.. quake4 on your PC, at like 1280x1024 resolution, and your framerate is 40.. then you lower the res to 1024x768 and get 60 fps.. wouldn't that sill be using everything your graphics card is capable of? I mean it would still have a good framerate.. but it would be giving all it's got.. thats what computers do.."

Not really. Though, these days, it seems lowering the resoloution doesn't improve matters all that much anyway.
Things seem alot more CPU dependant.

When we see more games using Dual Core, etc, though. That'll be great, but for now, single cores still the crown at gaming.

Games on the 360 are at least using the cores available, somewhat.

Kage said:
Does that mean in that case, that when a computer plays a DVD, its using up more resources than a game would?

I can watch a DVD while doing loads on my computer, and doubt a HD-DVD would use up much more.

That statement above though, I think is false. Have you seen MotorStorm? I'm pretty sure thats using alot of its power.

Plus... think about it this way.

If a game ever used 100% of a consoles capacity, the game wouldn't run very well would it, if the graphics card was struggling, and the CPU was struggling. Thats what 100% would mean :p

So putting it that way, no it won't...

EDIT:

If you check on IGN, there are rumours of the Xbox 360, gaining the games that were going to be just exclusive to the PS3, including a rumour, that Metal Gear Solid could come to 360, and that Virtua Fighter 5 will (which it is)

Oh, and has anyone heard the rumour that a November 2007 UK release has been talked of?

The MPEG-2 codec doesn't require as much processing power as MPEG-4 or VC-1. Remember, the console is pumping out high-resolution media through a TV or monitor at 720p or 1080p. I think Anandtech recently did two articles and the HD-DVD currently doesn't need as much processing power as Blu-Ray does. Of course, they did use an Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6800. :p

MotorStorm looks hella nice, but it's still way short of it's "goal trailer" which was probably CG anyways. Probably the reason why it was delayed until early next year.

Virtua Fighter 5 is coming to the Xbox 360 (so Sony lost another exclusive). As for Metal Gear Solid 4, Konami has officially stated it will remain PS3 exclusive for now. Of course, theres no saying if this is definate or just a timed exclusive. Sometimes companies have publishers/developers sign contracts where their games are exclusive for a certain period of time. That's what happened with GTA and Rockstar.

Of course, I wouldn't be suprised if MGS4 did come to the Xbox 360. Konami has business decisions to make and at the rate that the PS3 is selling now, they can't justify putting that much time and money into a game without broadening the amount of platforms it's on. As for exclusives, one thing I found funny at X06 was that the next Splinter Cell (unofficially Splinter Cell: Conviction) is Xbox 360 exclusive. :D Ubisoft isn't even bothering with the PS3 this time around.

Back
Top Bottom