Server 2003, on a home network..

joxley1990

Golden Master
*Cannot post in server admin section, keep getting timeouts, please can a mod please move this*

Ok, just before I start, I do no alot about computers, so don't feel you have to act all nooby with me.. I am currently doing the BTEC level three, in system support. It involves hardware, software, programming, and cisco.

Anywoo, here we go..

I was recently donated a server, running Windows 2003 Server, Enterprise edition. It came with the product key, so i reinstalled it.

Now, at college, we have the good old system of having a username, in which we can log on anywhere, and have all our files and settings..

Is there any way to do this in my home, we have three computers, and this server, which is currently just an open file server.

The other thing is though, how could I configure it so that programs could be shared.. example.. i log on up here.. install say.. Winamp. I log on downstairs, and winamp is installed as well..

Sorry for all te questions, I know its posssible. some way or another..

It's called a domain controller (active directory) that lets you do this

Server 2003 Enterprise will act as a domain controller, you just need to set it up. It's fairly easy to get going.

joxley1990 said:
Could you point me in the direction in how to do that, I would really appriciate it!

Should be able to configure it from the server role wizard. Along with active directory, you also need a DNS server and a fileserver (Typically your domain controller can take on both roles in a small office)

I use Windows 2000 servers still, which are slightly different to configure.

So, the DNS server, and file server, all just run from the one physical server yeah..

This is confusing me already, might just keep it as a file server..

Yeah man, got it working with one computer running XP pro in this house, got a little fake domain goin, it's mint..

Just need to *get* Windows XP PRO on the other machines..

Can home just upgrade to PRO, CBA reinstalling everything..

Thanks for all help..

Back
Top Bottom