Little green dots on desktop...

yeah, I bet firefox just had some stuff* lol. going on and it clashed with your vid card..probably the color, that does explain why it was there while you were scrolling and why it would be in different places when you opened different things...

Kage said:
Thanks, but I don't think that'd help.

Are you seeing the dots on that image Troy272?

There just light coloured green speckles that are hardly visible, but their there.

I may have done damage to my card in the first place by unlocking pipes that weren't meant to be unlocked (though there were guides to do so on the AGP models). Locking them again in that case, should just reset the card back, and shouldn't cause problems.

Though like I said, since getting this card, there have been little issues with stuff like this.

hascet:
No, it won't be my monitor, but thanks.
Its changing as I open folders, etc, so I know it can't be the monitor.

EDIT:

Ah... I'll restart again now. It may still be the 4 unlocked pipes giving me issues. I thought I locked them, before I reset, but it seems like they came back on again.

I'll post back in a minute with the result.

I didn't see any dots but I find it weird that something like that would happen.

Did you all see my reply?... :p

"Okay...now that is weird...

How can an image when encoded change?

After making sure the pipes were now locked, and restarted, all issues have now gone. So I know that they must be damaged now, and so not to turn them on again

EDIT: (I had unlocked the 4 extra pipes using RivaTuner that were locked on my card since nVidia had turned them off. I heard that some people had luck turning them back on, but oobviously not me :p Even though I've had them unlocked for a while, and even though they caused some artifacting after a while, they weren't giving me too much problems, so kept them on thinking they were still speeding games up.

It might have even been slowing my card down for all I know though, so yeah, at least they are off now, not messing up my desktop screen, like they were suddenly :p

Its also weird, that the image above that I posted lost the green dots after I had stoped the artifacting, since the green dots were EXACTLY in the same place as I was scrolling up and down, like it had encoded them in.
In that case, I have no idea how the print screen works, or where it actually gets the image from

Back to post above:
Yet, there are no dots even on that image now, like you've been saying, even though before scrolling up and down on tha image, the green dots never moved, and stayed just on that image.

Anyhow, its fixed "

:)

I may know now why also.

The card seems alot faster now I've locked those 4 unfunctioning pipes, which is weird... FEAR is alot faster.

On the other hand, it started to artifact again, so I opened Rivatuner and found that the fan speeds were below 50% when playing games. So because I wouldn't hear it, I shoved this to 100% while heavy gaming, leaving the standard and 2D at 35%.

Its a good job too. It might have been reaching slow down threshhold before, and not warning me, because I kept the temperature reader up, and launched into FEAR.

It had reached 95 degrees C, even with the fans on 100%. So, yeah, I'll leave it as it is now :)

I just turned it on then though, and it was artifacting. Checked the temps, and they were at 75 degrees C. i don't get it...

EDIT:

Its still artifacting... and temperatures are reaching in the 100's when it starts too.

Slow down threshhold for this GPU is 120 degrees C, and its only marginally missing that.

Fans at 100% though and its pretty loud. What can I do? Change the heatsink/fan maybe?

Haha, worse now. I minimized straight away when they started appearing. 100 degrees C...No wonder it was artifacting before. It wass probably slightly more before the game minimized properly and had time to press print screen.

core.jpg

Quite hot, huh?... It goes down as soon as I minimize to around 70 degrees C.

That dip must be where I uniminimize the game, and then it starts building up.

You can see from the graph that it doesn't reach a safe limit, and so it must be rising and rising. I'll keep playing and find a limit where it stops increasing.

EDIT:

Check it now. It seemed to stabalise, but was still increasing very slowly. It was only a few degrees off slowdown.

Whats worse, at around this level, I heard the GPU fan suddenly drop in speed, and only kicked in once I minimized to desktop. A bit late...

core2.jpg

Whats weird though, is the rest of my system runs cool. With the CPU at load getting to around 49 degrees C, and system sticking at around 28-30 degrees C

EDIT 2:

Great:

ohdearcore.jpg

It seems to stick at 116 degrees C, but must have reached 120 degrees C, because the game minimized, and that appeared.

EDIT 3:

Yeah, it stays at around 117 degrees C, and slows the core down, and then speeds up, and slows down.

Its easy to tell, because FEAR runs fast, and then will suddenly crawl for a minute or so.

Back
Top Bottom