action=mailto:

Yeah, the mailto link with automatically launch the users default email client. There is no way around it.

And personally, I would think it was better if you made a simple PHP contact form, instead of a mailto link. If you use a mailto, you will end up having a shit load of spam.

well, like I said, mostly old people that dont know computer will be the ones doing this, so I can have the mail to on there.. because they wont know how to change their default email :p plus, I tried this with hotmail, and you also have to install some hotmail attachment 1.5.0 or something.. to much trouble for them. And I dont know PHP :D

Well Captain Pooka, if you have PHP on your server and it is a standardized server supporting smtp, then you can let me know via PM or in this thread and I will make you a quick script to do so.

my host is googlepages... go to google and on the side will me more.. click that then go to google labs then scroll down and there will be google pages (you have to have a gmail account) and you get free webpages...

This doesn't make much sense.. Say person A has outlook as their defualt email client. When they click it, it will open up a new email in outlook addressed to qqsnare@gmail.com

Say person B has gmail set as their default email client, when they click it it will open up in gmail.

I don't see what the problem is.

^^
the problem is that not everybody changes their email preference, I don't change it, so if I click a mailto link it open OE, even though I use a yahoo account mostly.
Captain Pooka said:
well, like I said, mostly old people that dont know computer will be the ones doing this, so I can have the mail to on there.. because they wont know how to change their default email :p plus, I tried this with hotmail, and you also have to install some hotmail attachment 1.5.0 or something.. to much trouble for them. And I dont know PHP :D

Even if you have old people looking at the site, spam bots search through 1000's of sites all the time, and could easily pick up your address.

A simple PHP script that then emails you would be the best way to do it. It would be the most practical way. And I suggest you learn the basics of PHP, it can be very handy.

Just add a contact form on one page and make the form POST the data to, lets say, contact2.php. Like this:

Code:
<form method="POST" action="contact2.php">
<input name="name" type="text" id="name" size="40">
<input name="email" type="text" id="email" size="40">
<input name="subject" type="text" id="subject" size="40">
<textarea name="message" cols="40" rows="7"></textarea>
<input name="Submit" type="submit" value="Send Message" />

Then on contact2.php, just add a code like this one:

PHP:
<?php
    $email = $HTTP_POST_VARS[email];
    $mailto = "qqsnare@gmail.com";
    $mailsubj = "$subject\n";
    $mailhead = "<b>From:</b> $email\n";
    reset ($HTTP_POST_VARS);
    $mailbody = "Message body:\n";
    while (list ($key, $val) = each ($HTTP_POST_VARS)) {
        $mailbody .= "$key : $val\n"; }
    mail($mailto, $mailsubj, $mailbody, $mailhead);
?>

Hope this helps,
Jamie.

I thought someone said googlepages doesnt use PHP...
Im gonna paste that in notepad and see waht it does :D

Back
Top Bottom