Power connector on X-fi cards?

Well, cards are getting more powerful these days and they need more power than they can draw from the pci slot.

looks like creative is also hopping on the bandwagon along with nvidia, AMD (ati), Intel and the motherboard manufacturers. Power connector here and there :mad:

The power connector on the X-Fi looks like the kind you would use from a floppy drive. The main processor has around 51 million transistors, compared to 4.6 million in the Audigy. In sheer power, the X-Fi processor is around 24x more powerful as well. Creative includes a splitter to go off a standard molex power connector if needed.

odds are its there for a reason (like the plugs on video cards) so i'd use it just to be safe.

Well as i said i bought the xtrememusic edition... and it would of been nice if they would have included the splitter... and at least told u in the instructions to connect it to the power! i didnt know since there was no splitter or the instructions to tell u to do so. so im using the card right now without it connected to the power supply, but should i go ahead and do that?

i plugged it in... no noticeable sound difference. but what was noticeable was the incredible difference between the x-fi on onboard sound. i also got a set of logitech x-540s. good set of speakers for the price but i noticed that there seems to be a bit distortion on the high end trebles.

Back
Top Bottom