Little green dots on desktop...

Kage

Golden Master
Maybe I should be getting worried.

My video card:
AGP Geforce 6800GS

hasn't been working completly great since I got it, with the slightest knock of the PC messing up the graphics and causing a restart to occur.

Well, after playing FEAR today, I shut it off after seeing green dots appearing everywhere, where shaders are meant to be.
I shut it off and checked the temperature:
75 degrees C.

Seems pretty normal.

I then started noticing it on the desktop. I restarted, and their still there.
Little green speckles.

My card isn't overclocked, but before I restarted, I disabled the pipes I had opened up that were originally locked on this version of the chip, to check if this would help. (Originally 12, I had unlocked the extra 4 pipes that were disabled). I've done this before though with no problems.

It seems I may have done a bit more damage now.
The dots aren't getting worse, but their there.

This is what it looks like:

greendoterror.jpg

Are you sure? They must be on that image, because as I'm scolling up and down, the dots are in the same place on the image. So I know its not my graphics card showing that, and so its actually encoded onto the image.

My temperatures on my computer are pretty stable also:

CPU is at 35 degrees C. Systems at 30, hard drives are at 30 each (theres two).
The only high level in there, that seems to be filtering out, is the graphics card, at 70-75 degrees C.
I doubt thats the issue though.

that's really weird. you could try doing a system restore back to the last time before those dots started showing up.

Thanks, but I don't think that'd help.

Are you seeing the dots on that image Troy272?

There just light coloured green speckles that are hardly visible, but their there.

I may have done damage to my card in the first place by unlocking pipes that weren't meant to be unlocked (though there were guides to do so on the AGP models). Locking them again in that case, should just reset the card back, and shouldn't cause problems.

Though like I said, since getting this card, there have been little issues with stuff like this.

hascet:
No, it won't be my monitor, but thanks.
Its changing as I open folders, etc, so I know it can't be the monitor.

EDIT:

Ah... I'll restart again now. It may still be the 4 unlocked pipes giving me issues. I thought I locked them, before I reset, but it seems like they came back on again.

I'll post back in a minute with the result.

Okay...now that is weird...

How can an image when encoded change? After making sure the pipes were now locked, and restarted, all issues have now gone. So I know that they must be damaged now, and so not to turn them on again.

Yet, there are no dots even on that image now, like you've been saying, even though before scrolling up and down on tha image, the green dots never moved, and stayed just on that image.

Anyhow, its fixed :p

Sounds like it was artifacting.. That is usually caused by a graphics card if it is either too hot, trying to do something that it is not capable of, has bad drivers or if there is a fault with it.

And if there is a fault, it could be a bad pipeline. It has happened to me before and I had to get my GPU swapped.

Hope it got fixed anyway..

Back
Top Bottom