Beeping. And no display at all.

all different PC and laptops have not all the same beep codes (that would make life to easy). I think as PC gets smarter and they can detect what might be wrong, RAM or RAM slots, we will see alot more beeps codes be made and BIOS getting alot more smarter to handle all this.

They get better, but they try to keep the same codes for any AMIBIOS chips. I know this because I has a GPU error on a 333MHZ machine and my main P4. 1 long, 8 short. Both, were the GPU being misseated.

celegorm said:
lol ture... just didn't think of it cuz three is normall i get when it comes to ram problems.
Three's basic when no physical RAM is found.

OMFG I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!

I dunno what it was.. But I took the RAm out and put it back in. Then I switched the Video card to the smaller one that he gave me.. And it works!!!!

I am now installing XP :D Im sooo happy I was getting so sad and emo cuz it wasnt working lol omfg man.. Thanks for all the help guys I love you all so much...

Super fast reply's, Super good advice.. omg omg omg Im seriously so excited especially because I have wireless now :)

THANKS ALOT!!!!

eDIT: When I plugged monitor in, The beeps were still beeping cuz there was a message saying Cannot overclock or wateva.. so I pressed F2 to go to default settings... Then it just didn't boot the HDD obviously cuz XP isnt installed.. Installing now :)

Seriously guys, Thanks for your help. If it wern't for you I would have bought a video card 2moro.. And I have already gone 500$ off my budget for this system so yeah ... Thanks :) I really appreciate it.

Heres a full list of the beep codes and solutions from AMIBIOS website.

Number of Beeps Description

1 Memory refresh timer error.
2 Parity error in base memory (first 64KB block)
3 Base memory read/write test error
4 Motherboard timer not operational
5 Processor error
6 8042 Gate A20 test error (cannot switch to protected mode)
7 General exception error (processor exception interrupt error)
8 Display memory error (system video adapter)
9 AMIBIOS ROM checksum error
10 CMOS shutdown register read/write error
11 Cache memory test failed

8.2.1 Troubleshooting POST BIOS Beep Codes

Number of Beeps Troubleshooting Action

1, 2 or 3 Reseat the memory, or replace with known good modules.
4-7, 9-11 Fatal error indicating a serious problem with the system. Consult your
system manufacturer. Before declaring the motherboard beyond all
hope, eliminate the possibility of interference by a malfunctioning
add-in card. Remove all expansion cards except the video adapter.
• If beep codes are generated when all other expansion cards are
absent, consult your system manufacturer's technical support.
• If beep codes are not generated when all other expansion cards are
absent, one of the add-in cards is causing the malfunction. Insert
the cards back into the system one at a time until the problem
happens again. This will reveal the malfunctioning card.
American Megatrends, Inc.
Checkpoint & Beep Code List 1.71
Copyright 2005 Page 16 of 16
8 If the system video adapter is an add-in card, replace or reseat the
video adapter. If the video adapter is an integrated part of the system
board, the board may be faulty.

Ah well nevermind, its sorted lol :)

what about long beeps and short beeps...

as someone else said, not all beeps are the same for all manufacturers.

though I'd imagine that if any manfacturer decided to deviate from the well known schemes then they'd publish their own scheme on a website somewhere.

the beeps are there because the computer uses beeps to communicate trouble before it can actually display anything to the screen...

don't worry about there being beeps and nothing on the screen... worry about there being nothing on the screen and no beeps either!

Back
Top Bottom