hard drive help

Robertlatacz

Solid State Member
Hi,

I have an old time computer. It was in hibernate mode but today when i turned it on there was an error. I restarted my computer but the hard drive was not getting detected. A message came up saying to insert the boot up disk into drive A, i put the disk in but nothing happened. Then i restarted the computer again and inserted windows xp install disk and try to run it but said:

STOP: c0000221 unknown Hard Drive Error
\systemRoot\system32\ntdll.dll

The computer was originaly windows 98 but has been updated to windows xp and has run fine for the last few months. I think its the hard drive that has is not working properly. Also the driver CD is not loading up.

What can i do without restoring my computer back to factory settings?

Thanks in advance

When i switch my computer on now it is detecting the hardrive but it says theres a problem with \windows\system32\config\system. It then recommends to put the windows boot up disk in and press "r" to recover windows. I need help with going through the recovery because at the moment it says 'C:\Windows>' and I have no idea what to do.

Any Ideas?

Hmmm if you go into repair and type in help? or /help or something like that.. There is a list of commands.. Maybe a new bootsector or something? There are a few boot recovery options there just read thru them.

First thing to see. Can you go into BIOS? We need to see if BIOS is even seeing the drive- should be under devices or startup. OK if the drive is not being seen, check cables are plugged in or try alt cables (use cd cable if needed). Do you have other mach? Try putting damaged Hard drive in Working mach as a slave (checks to see if Hard drive is trucked up).

You said you put CD in drive and it doesnt read it? have you set the boot mode right so it boots in CD drive first and not hard drive?

Back
Top Bottom