Mcafee +my computer

Jab

Solid State Member
Hi,

hope this is the right place.

For quite a while now i have had issues with my computer.

Firstly over the summer, my computer gained a virus, the purpose of this virus was to send emails for people to watch videos, and make them switch to an alternative virus protector/spyware removal program. However this virus remained on my computer, webroot claimed that it had got rid of it, to the extent that i dont send out any emails. This problem resulted in the lack of access to download any mcafee updates - rendering the software i purchased virtually useless - so i contacted the online chat technicians, who told me to uninstall everything mcafee, and other third party peices of software - to which nothing happened. I am now unable to reinstall the program as the disk will not be accepted, claiming a mcafee preinstaller error.

This problem is extended t to the fact that i am unable to get to any of the major spyware/anti virus websites, e.g. trend micro, zone alarm (managed to get off disk) symantec, mcafee, and a few others.

I have tried as stated Webroot, also AVG, Windows one care, NOD32, Mcafee Quickclean (for some reason this works!), and others - i cannot do online scans through trend micro, or many others.

Any suggestions to what to do? I have used tune up utilities which has cleaned alot of Active X issues, and more, but didnt help this situation.

Any help much appreciated

Cheers
Jab

i have had problems with different Virus programs and there LACK of uninstall skills. We all know how hard Norton has made it to totally remove its damn program off your computer.

So im guessing you have tried to uninstall Mcafee and no luck becuase im guessing some of the files are still stuck in the Registry not allowing you to reinstall or uninstall. you can run a regedit and uninstall each Mcafee file in there or use a registry cleaning tool. The only thing im worried about for you, is even if you get everything working again and your virus protection works, there might still of been some damage to system files from any of those viruses. One thing that would fix it stright away is to reformat, that would kill off any problems or viruses.

Are these still installed? If so then try removing them in safe mode. If ya have uninstalled everything, and ya just wanting to clean ya registry, then something like jv16 powertools, will allow you to search the registry and remove the stuff. Then its just a case of installing your chosen AV and spyware progs, and scanning ya computer in safe mode with them

Back
Top Bottom