Power connector on X-fi cards?

EricM

Daemon Poster
what is the 4 pin molex power connector for on the x-fi cards? I purchased a Xtrememusic card and it did not say what the power connector was for. You dont have to plug the card in to the power supply do you? It draws power from the PCI slot? The other versions of the xfi such as the platinum come with a power splitter?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.asp?Image=29%2D102%2D188%2D07%2Ejpg%2C29%2D102%2D188%2D01%2Ejpg%2C29%2D102%2D188%2D06%2Ejpg%2C29%2D102%2D188%2D02%2Ejpg&CurImage=29%2D102%2D188%2D01%2Ejpg&Description=Creative+Sound+Blaster+X%2DFi+XtremeMusic+7%2E1+Channels+PCI+Interface+Sound+Card+%2D+Retail

thats the aux-in connecter... theres another one that says POWER CONNECTER beside that...

EricM said:
thats the aux-in connecter... theres another one that says POWER CONNECTER beside that...
oh oops, I highley doubt you have to plug the card in to the power supply or power source i've never heard of that yet.

Yes, that is what it's for....you need to plug in an unused 4-pin power lead from your power supply.

Tommy Boy said:
Yes, that is what it's for....you need to plug in an unused 4-pin power lead from your power supply.
really, weird I never saw that until now.

really? because im using the card now and it works fine without it hooked to the power supply? it also didnt say anything in the assembly instructions about hooking it up to the power supply.

EricM said:
really? because im using the card now and it works fine without it hooked to the power supply?
yeah, I dunno maby it's a marketing thing or something

marketing thing? well there is also a power connector on the consoles that come with the other versions of the x-fi cards, and an included power splitter which has the smaller version of the 4 pin power connector to the larger versions of the 4 pin molex that ocnnect to the power supply. im a bit confused as it did not say to plug into the power supply..

Back
Top Bottom