Setting up a simple network?

k0409964

In Runtime
Okay so i already have a very simple network at home with my laptop pluged into my main comp using a crossover cable pluged into each of the machines respective network cards, and that works fine i can share files, internet printing etc etc, and i set it up fine no problem.

Well my bro has just come back from uni, and i am trying todo the same thing with my laptop and his desktop. i.e plug a cross over cable into both are computers to play Medieval II total war.

Right when i do it it says limited or no conectivity? okay this has happend before and i have been able to sort it out fine... i have followed all the setup instructions etc and each computer can see each other and i can access his files on his shared docs but it still says limtied or no conectivity???

Why?? and when we are trying to play multiplay Medieval we can see each others names and chat to each other no problem!! but cant actually setup a game?!?!?

can some one give me a simple step by step guide to being able to play multiplayer games over a network!!

oh year and when i plug my other comp back into my laptop everything works fine!!!

thanks for your help!

make sure a fire wall isn't blocking it. if you don't have one (purchased one taht is), then check the windows firewall assuming your using xp

i've never been able to connect my dads laptop to my desktop with a crossover cable...always says 'obtaining network address' for some weird reason...
you can't get a router and connect everything to it and set everything up as a home network? thats what i did and i can play games with my dads laptop and my desktop. works great and is really easy.

i will check the firewall the strange thing is it works fine with a crossover cable to my main PC - Laptop!!

Back
Top Bottom