New wireless card

Denier-of-Soup

In Runtime
I just replaced my Belkin wireless card with a D-Link one. It can connect to the network just fine, but now the signal strength is too weak. What the hell is going on? >_<

The Belkin card was older, yet the signal was at 100%, and the computer is only 16 feet away seperated by a thin drywall.

Have a look in the settings and try a different channel, ya may be getting interference from something

Yeah, I think either channels 6 or 11 are the best to use with a wireless setup, give those a try.

Denier-of-Soup said:
Where do I change the channels from?

It will be in ya router settings, to connect to ya router, run ya internet browser and enter "http://192.168.1.1" (i think thats right for d-link routers). The setting will be there somewhere password is normaly admin. Oh and dont forget to save the changes if it works, otherwise if ya ever power the router down, the settings will be lost

It's at channel 6 now. I'll try messing around with that and see which one works.

edit: Channel 11 is working just fine. Thanks guys.

No problem
Raffaz said:
dont forget to save the changes if it works, otherwise if ya ever power the router down, the settings will be lost
Actually, it doesn't lose the settings if you power down the router, it will lose them if you press the reset button on the router. I've had to power down my router and dsl modem and restart them because of lost connection.

Tommy Boy said:
No problem

Actually, it doesn't lose the settings if you power down the router, it will lose them if you press the reset button on the router. I've had to power down my router and dsl modem and restart them because of lost connection.

Not 100% sure on this, but i think it might have more to do with the brand mate

D-Link routers lose their settings if you forget to apply them, or if you're updating the firmware. Restarting them only clears the logs.

Yeah, if you forget to apply them it will lose the settings. But I mean, if the power goes out the router won't lose it's settings. That would be a major pain if everytime the power went out you'd have to setup your router again.

Back
Top Bottom