Military kids, and why they are better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
alvino said:
I still have respect for him, just not as much. His threads are controversial, and while they do make for great debate topics, some of them have a rather arrogant and ignorant feeling to it.

True, though even i have to admit... I do get a little arrogant/ignorant at times when I'm trying to put my point across and people don't agree or straight out don't listen at all to what I have to say. Happens to the best of us.

I think Nik's intentions were good with this thread, just worded it wrong.

Really, if someone thinks they're better than me, it's their problem, not mine.

mark thorpe said:
keep it open for the entertainment :)
Yeah, you're right Mark, *chuckle* he doesn't realise that with every post & protest that he makes, he's harming himself still further.

Nik00117 said:
Never said Civilians are "shit" you know your immature when someone makes a point and you get upset over it./QUOTE]

Neither did I say that you said Civilians are ''shit'' I merely said 'what is the shit with civilians' Get it right before you critisize. And I'm the immature one? I'm not the one going around spreading aload of bs about how milartery kids are better and what not, like I said before... It's people like you who give America a bad name, you talk complete and utter shite.

Steff said:
It's people like you who give America a bad name, you talk complete and utter shite.

Nah, I reckon more to the point is the fact that George W Bush does a great job of this. :p

Toby said:
I still have respect for Nik, just not when it comes to this issue...

You can't lose total respect for someone just because you disagree with them about one aspect of their attitude imo. Takes a lot more than that to lose all respect of someone.

Yeah, he does make contervertial threads (sometimes that can be a good thing) and is sometimes arrogant about certain things. But isn't everyone at some point in their life? Even though some people might not like to admit it.

For the record, both my grandparents were involved in the military, does that make me better than any of you here though? No.

I don't respect guys who are like "I'm better than you". Well depends on what they have done, if they truly are better than me then they have my full respect, but kids like him who really haven't done anything that would make him better than me just piss me off. He might think he is cool and better than everyone just because his dad is in the military. But to be honest, I respect people who have done something to earn my respect.

Toby said:
Nah, I reckon more to the point is the fact that George W Bush does a great job of this. :p
At the moment British politics is going through a very rough time, Prime Minister Blair, has just been officially pilloried for agreeing with Bush to go to war in Iraq, & has been told that the war was the over-riding factor of his [Blair's] downfall, plus he's the first Prime Minister in living history, to be interviewed by police investigating the cash for peerages scandal, the two B's make a good pair!!

Ha! Nick, I agree with the majority here.

I'd admit that a military upbringing would instil greater discipline in a person, but besides discipline, what else does it do?

I could imagine disadvantages too, like single mindedness, narrow tunnel vision thinking, and an inflexibility in dealing with individuals that are different than you - including those with a different up-bringing and different opinions. Throughout history, it's the military leaders and those brought up in the military that have caused the majority of the wars and human suffering as well as bringing imperialist thinking to the masses (Perhaps you have a slight bout of this). If that's what better upbringing does for you, you can keep it.

Perhaps it wont though, it depends entirely on how that person emotionally and intellectually evolves and grows through that person experiences in life. I've managed to drag myself through life pretty decently I'd say, if you compare what I had to be brought up. Father did a disappearing act when I was 10, and still nowhere to be seen. Brought up by my mother as the eldest of 3 sons, I think we're all decent people. I have a 30 hour a week job, while doing my final year of my engineering degree. I'm in the Royal Navy reserves and will be an engineer in the Royal navy once I've got my degree and should have a pretty sound life for the next 5 to 10 years anyway. My experience and seeing my mother drag us up have influenced me a lot. I've a deep respect for education - something a lot of people in the developed world now takes for granted. I've a huge respect for woman. Tolerant of different peoples opinions. I think I'm a hardworking an organised person and I'm extremely careful at picking my friends. But, I have no time for lazy people, fools, hardliners, arrogant people and timewasters. I wouldn't change it for the world either or my friends and girlfriend. I think this is all to do with my upbringing, and I'd class it as more worthy of any bland, more regimented, military upbringing. But that's my opinion.

Using your thinking, taking a person outside the military sorta 'up-bringing' and putting them into a lifestyle were they're not regimented, regulated, with forced upon disciplined would perhaps send them in complete disorganisation and find it difficult for them to fit into civilian life and get a full time job out with the state payroll.

Perhaps what you have realised is the flexibility that the German people have in accepting others, or, in other words, how tolerant the European people are to opinions, races, religions and beliefs. Something America doesn't need to do on the same scale as the American people are more like each other than the Europeans are to each other. Simply, I think Europeans are more open minded and tolerant - something they need to be for the EU to work.

lol, working my but off. thats about it. Loads of work on all fronts, and I suppose I've fallen for a lassie too. Love your enthusiasm!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom