Military kids, and why they are better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nik has a history of starting threads, of which most are on contentious subjects there's been war, two of those, drugs, alcoholic drinks, two of those, now this, this one has turned into arguments only a hair's breadth from flaming, & is going round in circles, most of the others had to be closed by various mods....it's what he does, theres a lull of a few weeks, about six these time, now this one, there are two to date who won't be sorry to see it closed it seems, I'm being fair I think, let's see.

And thats what I'm known for, then so be it. I bring up points, and ideas at least I'm not going on about O WOW LOOK AT I HIT 1,000 posts.

Your known for double posting.

thats not teh idea of this kinda debate.. its for you to proove your points right, using actual reports, not an article from wiki..

you dont have any idea how to form a proper debate do you?

honestly, your attitude really does remind me of giancarlo.. he always thought that he was better than everyone, his reason was because he was gay, your reason was because your raised in a military family..

you need to get your ego in check here mate.. i respected you before, but this post has changed my mind.. you are not better than anyone else just because you were raised in a military family.....

Well you had points did you not? I provided a link for my points. I do have an idea on how to form a proper debate I do it all the time. I don't believe i'm in entitled to more rights or anything, however if it comes down to traveling, or moving an d having to settle with other cultures then I have an edge. Never ever said I deserve more rights because of this which the thread has largely turned into.

^That one really pissed people off.

Mark, I agree with you. You need to get an ego check.

Once again, I've had my ego checked I brought up a point which no one liked, so be it. I'm rarely one to say "I'm at the best at something"

I think Nik has definitely proved how big his ego is.

I don't believe I have.

whats all the shit with 'civilians' LOL ive grew up fine and i havent had none of this militery crap subjects like this realy piss me off !!

Never said Civilians are "shit" you know your immature when someone makes a point and you get upset over it.

sorry, but i totally disagree that kids raised in a military background are somehow 'better'.

Thats your view, and I respect it, but its obvious you don't respect mine thats fine, for thats another view point of yours.

My oh my. Let's see.

Having debated this issue at length with my boyfriend over the weekend (he's a regular poster here), I felt I couldn't let this pass without my three cents. I was an Air Force brat with the US air force, although I have been settled comfortably in the UK for 10 years now.

I've tried to bash it down to key points.

* Yes, an Air Force brat's schooling is different, but not necessarily better
I won't say it's necessarily better but it's certainly different. You do get the opportunity to learn different languages in school – I am sure I wouldn't have my skills in pigeon Greek without it! Teachers are well paid but they have many of the same stresses of anyone living abroad – they are strangers in a new country too.
Otherwise, I found them to be virtually identical to the state run schools I attended in the US during my time there. Less funding issues and slightly better sports facilities, but still not a patch on any of the REAL private schools I attended.

* Moving about isn't all it's cracked up to be
Yes, I have seen places that I would otherwise never have seen. But I also had to get used to waving goodbye to best friends annually (not easy for a child), giving up my beloved pets, being the new kid in class all the time...
I think it's made me a friendlier and more easygoing person, but for every child that takes to this lifestyle like a duck to water, I imagine there's one that struggles to make friends and can't adapt to the constant change, which must impact them in the long term.

* Growing up? I think not.
Why should military kids grow up any faster? The fact they are living in an essentially closed environment in another country means that they are often exposed to fewer cross sections of a community than they would be in their home town. Think about it – your base and compound are likely to be populated by white bread, middle class military families just like yours. Not bad people, but very similar ones. I have also found the attitude of Americans in the military towards the native population to be far from progressive...

* The military doesn't guarantee a strong will
Hell, you're essentially signing up to let someome think for you. But that's another argument.

But what do I know? I am a weak minded civilian...

someone who did the same thing, and still disagrees, nik your screwd

Its my point of view... This is your point of view, as far as I'm concerned I'm done debating the issue.

dude.. your saying you are better than everyone with a civilian upbringing.. now, if that aint having a huge ego.....

theres even someone with the same upbringing as you have, saying that there are alot of negatives to having that kind of upbringing...

your point of view is that you are better than anyone with a civilian upbringing, im sorry, but i fail to see how travelling all over the world all the time, not having stable, long term friendships, not having a stable education, and living in an environment surrounded by army families (not with the public of the country you are in, as said by several people before) is better than growing up in the same school, with the same friends around you to support you...

as seti said.. you are like giancarlo, always thinking you are better than other people..

Nik00117 said:
Thats your view, and I respect it, but its obvious you don't respect mine thats fine, for thats another view point of yours.

People don't respect it because you act like it's a goddamn fact.

mark thorpe said:
thats exactly what i was just thinking.. his 'i am better than all of you' attitude does remind me of giancarlo..

very well said :). i have some great friends who are americains, but its the attitude of people like nik who bring them all down, and tar them all with teh same brush..

edit.. nah, leave it open.. gives me a good laugh :)
Who is/was giancarlo? Never heard of him...

You're lucky then. He was this guy who was extremely into debates (supposedly he majored in Political Science) and he always acted like he was better than everyone. I don't know if that has anything to do with his gay orientation, but I've heard that's one of the reasons why he acted like that. He was annoying too. A completely biased fanboy of AMD and NVIDIA (not sure about now). When someone posted something about the Pentium 4 6xx series and how it was 64-bit (which it was) he kept denying it was "true" 64-bit and that Intel still didn't have a 64-bit processor like AMD did. :rolleyes: Also, whenever something he didn't like was done, he would go kiss David's ass to get him to do something.

He was tolerable at times, but he pissed off SO many people here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom