zonealarm blocks msn

speedy05

In Runtime
when i have zonealarm and it ha blocks the display picutre,downloads, and msn games!!!!

as i have allow windows live messenger in the firewall and it still blocks!!!

have you checked the actual settings in the program not the one that pops up, there is IM security etc?

Check that its allowing it all, and the Microsoft Net Framework (needed for MSN games, etc)

Go into program Control at the side, and then to the Programs tab.

Make sure Microsoft Net Framework is set to allow, and also, MSN is unblocked and everything else you may think you've blocked.

just follow this instrucitons carefuly(it is not mine tutorial BTW)
1) Boot into SAFE MODE. It's usually Holding F8 During Startup!

2) Navigate to the Folder "C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs" (Or where ever your system directory is!) CREATE A FOLDER CALLED BACKUPS!

3) Okay; You will be Moving some Files and Folders away (In Case you need to restore a Backup), and Editing some XML Files (In Notepad). Keep Backups of all of these in the folder created in Step 2 !

Files for Editing = 'Streamapi.config.xml', 'ZLCommDB.xml', and 'osfwrules.xml'
Files & Folders for Moving = 'imSecure.dll' and 'streamapi\imslsp'

4) Okay Lets start with Streamapi.config.xml. This, and all of the Files can be found from "C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs"

Open this File in Notepad (Please don't ask me HOW!). You will see a Line like this:

<plugin path="C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\streamapi\imslsp\imslsp.dll"/>

Delete that Line, and save the File (Use CTRL + S)

5) ZLCommDB.xml -- You will see something very similar to this:

<pl_313BF13F-F645-4CF9-B9B8-A9877B0B69D2 PATH="C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\imsecure.dll">
<CLASSES>
<class0 name="{5C639E23-A17D-464C-BC7C-DB5A7E38DCE4}" type="guid.zonelabs.com"/>
<class1 name="{2F009F88-E8B3-4B16-A167-AA51AF585914}" type="guid.zonelabs.com"/>
<class10 name="{E128D3D5-EA7E-41B3-9D05-249C92FBFC48}" type="guid.zonelabs.com"/>
<class11 name="imsecure_rules" type="rulesx.zl.com"/>
<class12 name="imsecure_rules" type="autoload.rulesx.zl.com"/>
<class13 name="imsecure_status" type="rulesx.zl.com"/>
<class14 name="imsecure_status" type="autoload.rulesx.zl.com"/>
<class15 name="imsecure_key" type="rulesx.zl.com"/>
<class16 name="imsecure_key" type="autoload.rulesx.zl.com"/>
<class17 name="imsecure" type="rulesx.zl.com"/>
<class18 name="imsecure" type="autoload.rulesx.zl.com"/>
<class2 name="{58F4C761-322D-48F4-8010-72C0122A58F7}" type="guid.zonelabs.com"/>
<class3 name="{E373D6D0-C607-4598-ADE1-7D56EB3CC04A}" type="guid.zonelabs.com"/>
<class4 name="{8D9777B0-3A77-41B3-8CB5-393AFE89C40B}" type="guid.zonelabs.com"/>
<class5 name="{9663000E-6479-441A-99C8-EF58B295E9AA}" type="guid.zonelabs.com"/>
<class6 name="{7A81BD1C-FFAD-41E8-B42C-5BC6C84B4907}" type="guid.zonelabs.com"/>
<class7 name="{CB678D09-F9BF-4B49-9B93-C86EEB6B7278}" type="guid.zonelabs.com"/>
<class8 name="{56B45F83-3D64-4C07-B63E-59396E839700}" type="guid.zonelabs.com"/>
<class9 name="{DE5CD778-DEDC-4785-BC01-F2AAA7837BAC}" type="guid.zonelabs.com"/>
</CLASSES>
</pl_313BF13F-F645-4CF9-B9B8-A9877B0B69D2>

That all needs to come out. Ensure that you remove the enitre block <pl_***************> all the way to the bottom <pl_**********************>. The *************** Will be identical number/letter sequences, so it'll be easy to work out what do delete!!

6) Nest File, osfwrules.xml

Okay there are 4 Lines of code to remove from this file. Again, opened in Notepad, find these:

<itementry param="filename" operator="equalnocase" type="ansi" value="WINSYSDIR\Zonelabs\imsecure.dll" />

<itementry param="filename" operator="equalnocase" type="ansi" value="WINSYSDIR\Zonelabs\streamapi\imslsp\imslsp.dll" />

<itementry param="filename" operator="equalnocase" type="ansi" value="WINSYSDIR\Zonelabs\streamapi\imslsp\manifest.xml" />

<itementry param="filename" operator="equalnocase" type="ansi" value="ZLDIR\imsecure.zap" />

Delete them all, then Save!

REMEMBER THIS MUST ALL BE DONE IN SAFE MODE - THE FILES ARE LOCKED BY THE SYSTEM!

7) Moving Files:

Okay, in C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs, there is a file named imsecure.dll! Move that to the Folder we created called BACKUPS (Step 2!) in case you need to restore it should there be a problem.

Again, back in C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs, there is a folder called 'streamapi' with a subfolder called 'imslsp'. You want to move 'imslsp' and all its contents to the 'BACKUPS' Folder. BUT LEAVE 'streamapi' there, otherwise you'll screw your Firewall!

Okay. All Done!

Restart the PC, no need to put it in Safe Mode again (Duh!) and it should all be Fixed!

speedy05 said:
when i have zonealarm and it ha blocks the display picutre,downloads, and msn games!!!!

as i have allow windows live messenger in the firewall and it still blocks!!!
Just to let you know, Zonealarm isn't that good. 4 Week's ago my internet started to Go and off the Cable Modem was fine, even ISP told me the connection to the modem was fine. Anyways about yesterday I Shut down Zonealarm to reupdate it and Firefox / Internet Explore Worked fine and still has been working every since so I unstalled Zonealarm

If you want a Firewall than Put Enable "windows Firewall" and download "Avast and install the Network Shield on setup :D

You obviously didn't have it configured right, because I, and probably thousands of other people haven't had an issue with it, or any browser.

X1337 said:
Just to let you know, Zonealarm isn't that good.

I've ran ZoneAlarms for years and its been perfect for me. Just check that the msn exe isnt blocked in the program control for ZoneAlarms.

Jamie.

Back
Top Bottom