Wireless card not working

Denier-of-Soup

In Runtime
My wireless desktop card is having trouble connecting to the network for some odd reason. It all happened after I replaced the old Radeon 9200 with a 9800. It was working fine before this, and I didn't change any software settings on the computer besides uninstalling the old video card driver and installing the new one.

It can still detect the wireless networks just fine, but if I try connecting, it gives me an error saying that they might no longer be in range. My theory is that the new video card is taking up a lot more power compared to the older one. The network card has enough power to recieve, but not enough power to transmit. After all, my PSU is only around 250 Watts.

If this is true, then will disabling one of my CD drives do the trick?

First off have you tried resetting your router and modem? I was just installing a wireless card in my mom's computer today and I got an error message similar to that. After I restarted the router and modem it was working fine.

That's the first thing I did. I also went into the router settings, and everything else was fine. I'm using the wireless network on my Mac right now. The laptop is also connecting fine.

My friend suggested unsecuring the router and then trying to connect to it. My first priority is getting the damn thing to work, so I'll give it a go.

What PSU have ya got installed, if its really crap, then ya might be due an upgrade.

also is there any chance you could have knocked the wireless card when replacing graphics card

Unsecuring the network did the trick. If I secure it, it can't connect to it for some reason. I was working fine before. WEP is the only encryption the desktop card supports, so I can't even try out WPA and see what happens.

Any suggestions?

try a frimware and driver update on your wireless card, then see if it will let you use teh WEP settings again.

but if you want to be secure with little way of some1 getting into your network, drop WPA and WEP and use MAC address filtering. In other words, only spicific wireless, or hardwire, devices can acess your network. others can see it, but will not be able to connect no matter how hard they try.

Back
Top Bottom