Is it safe to place a computer on a carpet?

rocket1406

In Runtime
Like does carpet dust or something somehow get into the computer and damage it? It's going to be under a computer desk, but directly on home carpeting.

If it's bad, what do you recommend we put underneath it? Any cheap plastic or something you can recommend?

Well it most likely will collect dust, I don't think there is anything you can do about that. It's not going to damage it to collect dust inside. I don't think you have anything to worry about, just make sure you clean it every once in a while.

No, its not smart because when its off I beleive various parts can collect static eletricity and give out.

Not totally sure though. Mine used to be on carpet, but then I have it proped up on two 5lbs bench press plates lol.

But in essense if you can avoid running it on the carpet, try to do so.

I'd worry more about the dust than anything, though it'll pick up dust anywhere you put it.

No one try to be smart either, by saying it wouldn't if you put it into an air tight container or something.

Haha, in that case, it'd more than likely blow up instead :p

I cant see how you will get static, especially if its plugged in coz its earthed then. And static tends to build up only if ya moving it round, so i think ya will be fine. Oh and mine is on the floor, and has been for years and ive never had a problem with ESD.

rocket1406 said:
Like does carpet dust or something somehow get into the computer and damage it? It's going to be under a computer desk, but directly on home carpeting.

If it's bad, what do you recommend we put underneath it? Any cheap plastic or something you can recommend?

It is absolutely safe. I have my PC on the carpet right now, underneath my desk. I have a computer cover that I am using when the PC is off so that helps. I don't have any kind of plastic material that it sits on, just plain carpet. Dust will get into it regardless of where you put it. I feel more on the floor. That's why it's better to proper maintain it by blowing out the PC with compressed air every once in awhile. I do it like once or twice a year at least. It's fun to do actually.

Raffaz said:
I cant see how you will get static, especially if its plugged in coz its earthed then.

Yeah since it's grounded by the plug i don't think any static electricity could build up.

you'd only get static if you earthed in...

dust will be drawn in by the circulation fans regardless of whether it' on the carpet or even if it were hung from the ceiling, so I wouldn't worry too much about that...

the only way that you can limit dust build up, ios to have dust filters on the air intake fans,
these are basically thin sponges that catch the air going into the PC and attempt to filter out the dust.
I have these on the case that I have, however they do reduce the airflow (as would any obsticle), hence there are two fans sucking in air, and more fans blowing out air as well)...

root said:
you'd only get static if you earthed in...

dust will be drawn in by the circulation fans regardless of whether it' on the carpet or even if it were hung from the ceiling, so I wouldn't worry too much about that...

the only way that you can limit dust build up, ios to have dust filters on the air intake fans,
these are basically thin sponges that catch the air going into the PC and attempt to filter out the dust.
I have these on the case that I have, however they do reduce the airflow (as would any obsticle), hence there are two fans sucking in air, and more fans blowing out air as well)...

And when I had filters, they weekly completly clogged up with dust.

Back
Top Bottom