Military kids, and why they are better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people will tell you soup is better than stew. Others the opposite. Everyone has an opinion and what you're saying is just that. If you want to argue that children raised in a military background are more well-rounded, fine, but better? No

so do you have any proof to back up these claims that military kids are better than civilian kids (parents as well). i'd just like to see some type of study that proves that this type of parenting is the best way to go or that military kids are somehow "better". you can be better at SOMETHING than someone, that does not make you better than them which is what you are implying. i think you need to get off your high horse and come back to reality. enjoy your wonderful life being better than everyone, it won't get you far...

Can you prove me wrong?

WHERE do you get off telling me that your parents are better than mine because they treat you like shit? what f*****g statistic are you on that makes you say that JUST because ur parents wer brought up in that shitty enviroment, makes you think taht they are better parents, because they dont treat you like a baby? because they arent always there? thats their job, and my parents may not make me get up and work everyday, but they always know the right thing to say when im in a predicament

I don't get off at that, that would be disturbing if I did, and who said I said your parents? Who said I said my parents? Who said I said anyone bodies parents. Did I say Board parents? Nope, i most certianlly didn't.

Nik00117 said:
Can you prove me wrong?

I don't get off at that, that would be disturbing if I did, and who said I said your parents? Who said I said my parents? Who said I said anyone bodies parents. Did I say Board parents? Nope, i most certianlly didn't.
by saying that "military parents are better" then you are implying "than everyone elses" because thats a comparison, did you learn those yet in german?

Nik00117 said:
Can you prove me wrong?

yeah, well again depends how you determine who is best. But lets take a look at important persons in history. Like stuff we invented, now can you name 3 important things (and I really mean important, not something like nuclear bomb) that were invented by army kids?

But we aren't saying that civilian kids are better. We are saying that people are equal. Now when you say that thing A is better than thing B you should provide us with some proof, which you clearly are uncapable of doing.

Ok guys, Nik has the opinion that Military people are better than civilians... I don't see why this has dragged on for 6 pages, but I think you people are being rather pointless by still arguing this.

My final thoughts:

There are 'Better' Grades, skills, knowledge, etc..
But then there are 'Better' 'People'

You can be the most skilled and smartest person in the world, but if your a complete asshole, I wouldn't think you were a very good person at all.

*jumps off this thread for good*

Nik00117 said:
5. Chances are their parents had a STRONG backbone, and they never broke it. Implying they now have discipline, yes civilian parents are just as capable, but the % is higher with Military kids.

Nik00117 said:
Can you prove me wrong?

Yeah I think I can.

Alright so I know a kid, his dad is a cop. Ok, that isn't military but it's close enough. His dad is the one that always comes into the schools talking about how drugs are bad and what not. Well wouldn't you think he knows how to discipline? His son is one of the biggest pot heads I know. Hmm.... doesn't seem like his dad being a cop really makes much of a difference.

mammikoura said:
yeah, well again depends how you determine who is best. But lets take a look at important persons in history. Like stuff we invented, now can you name 3 important things (and I really mean important, not something like nuclear bomb) that were invented by army kids?

But we aren't saying that civilian kids are better. We are saying that people are equal. Now when you say that thing A is better than thing B you should provide us with some proof, which you clearly are uncapable of doing.
lol, actually the atomic bomb was made mostly by scientists (civilian raised) and einstein :p

boardordi3 said:
lol, actually the atomic bomb was made mostly by scientists (civilian raised) and einstein :p

yes I know that, but it was just an example so he won't go saying some new weapon technology which really isn't all that important. But then again, even most of the modern weapon technology is built by civilians.

They identify with other brats—regardless of race, religion, nationality, or gender—more than they do with non-brats,[3] in part because they often feel like outsiders to civilian culture.[4] For example, a military brat may attend high school in Germany, spend weekends skiing in St Moritz, go to the French Riveria for spring break, and take a summer vacation exploring the ruins of Pompei—a diversity of experiences usually unmatched in civilian life.[5]

[edit] Research

Very true, the feeling among most military kids isn't one of hate regradless of branch.

The Department of Defense does not track or monitor former brats, thus any study on adult brats is based upon self identification.

Can't give any numbers truly.

For example, honoring the American Flag is expected. At 1700 hours (5:00 P.M.) the bugle call "Retreat" is played while the flag is lowered.[25] Anybody outside, even if participating in sports or driving a car, is expected to stop their activity and stand at attention

Teaches discipline, I can name you several civilian kids that would keep walking during this.

often, the authorities will call the parent's Commanding Officer or the Base Commander before or instead of calling the brat's parents.[38] If the Commanding Officer or Base Commander is contacted, the brat's behavior may become a permanent part of the military member's record, and adversely affect his or her ability to be promoted or get prime duty assignments.[39]

Teaches you discipline, for you know when you steal, not only are you going get in trouble but so will your folks.

Research into military brats has consistently shown them to be better behaved than their civilian counterparts

So true, Military kids are more responsbile.

In 1948, President Truman signed Executive Order 9981 integrating the military and mandating equality of treatment and opportunity. Shortly thereafter, military children began growing up in closely confined integrated schools and neighborhoods. Military law to makes it illegal to make a racist remark or not intervene when someone else does.[50] Fifteen years later, Robert McNamara issued Department of Defense Directive 5120.36. "Every military commander," the Directive mandates, "has the responsibility to oppose discriminatory practices affecting his men and their dependents and to foster equal opportunity for them, not only in areas under his immediate control, but also in nearby communities where they may gather in off-duty hours.” [51]

Imply we are more accepting of others.

Sociologist Morton Ender conducted the largest scientific study to date exclusively on career military brats (those who were brats from birth through high school.) His study revealed that 97% had lived in at least one foreign country, 63% in two, 31% in 3. They averaged 8 moves before graudating from High School and spent an average of 7 years in foreign countries. Over 80% now speak at least one non-English language and 14% speak three or more

Bingo... 80% bilingual

Because military brats are constantly making new friends to replace the ones that they have lost,[57] military brats are more outgoing and independent.[58] Eighty percent of brats claim that they can relate to anyone, regardless of differences such as race, ethnicity, religion, or nationality.[59]

Again a VERY IMPORTANT skill. I know I can pretty much about get along with anyone.

But making friends with their civilian counterparts, however, can be difficult. Not only have civilians lived together for years developing tight cliques, but brats may find it hard to relate to their non-mobile peers. Children who have made numerous moves during their childhood often find they have more in common with other mobile children, regardless of nationality, than they do with people who haven't moved. This is particularly true for brats who have spent time overseas. Having seen places and experienced things that most U.S. citizens only dream about, brats are eager to share their experiences with others. Because of their international exposure, many brats become frustrated with the lack of knowledge demonstrated by geographically stable families. Knowing (or at least believing) that they have a better understanding of world geography and politics.[53]

Can't tell you how many times i've found a kid who didn't know anything about politics of how the world was laid out.

BTW to answer your question on famous poeple

United States

[edit] Air Force

* Jessica Alba Actress [1]
* John Denver Singer [2]
* Mia Hamm Soccer Player [3]
* Heloise Columnist "Ask Heloise" [4]
* Kris Kristofferson Country Singer won 1970' Song of the Year [5]
* Swoosie Kurtz Two Time Tony Award Winner [6]
* Shawn Michaels WWE Champion [7]
* Victoria Principal Actress [8]
* Mykelti Williamson Actor most famous for role of Bubba in "Forest Gump" [9]
* Danny Wuerffel Heisman Trophy Winner and NFL Quarterback [10]

[edit] Army

* Hunter "Patch" Adams Doctor made famous by Robin Williams role [11]
* Christina Aguilera Singer [12]
* Joelle Carter Modell [13]
* Johnny Damon Baseball Player [14]
* Faye Dunaway Actress [15]
* Scott Hall Professional Wrestler [16]
* Cardinal Bernard Law Archbishop of Boston [17]
* Douglas MacArthur Medal of Honor Winner and Supreme Allied Commander in the Pacific during WWII [18]
* Jerri Manthey actress who is best known for her appearances on reality shows
* Julianne Moore Four Time Academy Award Nominee [19]
* Shaquille O'Neal Basketball Superstar [20]
* Priscilla Presley Wife of Elvis Presley and Actress [21]
* Jeri Ryan "7 of 9" in StarTrek: Enterprise [22]
* Norman Schwarzkopf, Jr. General in charge of Desert Storm
* Sharon Tate Actress [23]
* Mary Edwards Wertsch Author of the book Military Brat: Legacies of Childhood Inside the Fortress
* Bruce Willis Actor [24]
* Reese Witherspoon Actress [25]
* Eldrick "Tiger" Woods Golfer [26]
* James Woods Actor [27]

[edit] Marines

* Pat Conroy Writer whose book/film "The Great Santini" is about military brats [28]
* Robert Hays Actor [29]
* Austin St. John Actor -- Power Ranger [30]
* John Phillips of the Mamas &the Popas [31]
* Michael Stipe Vocalist for R.E.M. [32][33]

[edit] Navy

* Andy Dick Actor/Comedian [34]
* Robert Duvall Academy Award winning Actor, also played Bull Meecham from "The Great Santini" [35]
* Kathie Lee Gifford[36]
* Mark Hamill Luke Skywalker in the Star Wars Trilogy [37]
* Bob Marley Singer[38]
* John S. McCain, Jr. Commander in Chief, Pacific Command while son was prisoner of war. Father also a 4 star admiral. [39]
* John McCain (John S. McCain III) Senator [40]
* Jim Morrison Singer [41]

[edit] Branch of service unknown

enjoy

They identify with other brats—regardless of race, religion, nationality, or gender—more than they do with non-brats,[3] in part because they often feel like outsiders to civilian culture.[4] For example, a military brat may attend high school in Germany, spend weekends skiing in St Moritz, go to the French Riveria for spring break, and take a summer vacation exploring the ruins of Pompei—a diversity of experiences usually unmatched in civilian life.[5]

[edit] Research

Very true, the feeling among most military kids isn't one of hate regradless of branch.

For example, honoring the American Flag is expected. At 1700 hours (5:00 P.M.) the bugle call "Retreat" is played while the flag is lowered.[25] Anybody outside, even if participating in sports or driving a car, is expected to stop their activity and stand at attention

Teaches discipline, I can name you several civilian kids that would keep walking during this.

often, the authorities will call the parent's Commanding Officer or the Base Commander before or instead of calling the brat's parents.[38] If the Commanding Officer or Base Commander is contacted, the brat's behavior may become a permanent part of the military member's record, and adversely affect his or her ability to be promoted or get prime duty assignments.[39]

Teaches you discipline, for you know when you steal, not only are you going get in trouble but so will your folks.

Research into military brats has consistently shown them to be better behaved than their civilian counterparts

So true, Military kids are more responsbile.

In 1948, President Truman signed Executive Order 9981 integrating the military and mandating equality of treatment and opportunity. Shortly thereafter, military children began growing up in closely confined integrated schools and neighborhoods. Military law to makes it illegal to make a racist remark or not intervene when someone else does.[50] Fifteen years later, Robert McNamara issued Department of Defense Directive 5120.36. "Every military commander," the Directive mandates, "has the responsibility to oppose discriminatory practices affecting his men and their dependents and to foster equal opportunity for them, not only in areas under his immediate control, but also in nearby communities where they may gather in off-duty hours.” [51]

Imply we are more accepting of others.

Sociologist Morton Ender conducted the largest scientific study to date exclusively on career military brats (those who were brats from birth through high school.) His study revealed that 97% had lived in at least one foreign country, 63% in two, 31% in 3. They averaged 8 moves before graudating from High School and spent an average of 7 years in foreign countries. Over 80% now speak at least one non-English language and 14% speak three or more

Bingo... 80% bilingual

Because military brats are constantly making new friends to replace the ones that they have lost,[57] military brats are more outgoing and independent.[58] Eighty percent of brats claim that they can relate to anyone, regardless of differences such as race, ethnicity, religion, or nationality.[59]

Again a VERY IMPORTANT skill. I know I can pretty much about get along with anyone.

But making friends with their civilian counterparts, however, can be difficult. Not only have civilians lived together for years developing tight cliques, but brats may find it hard to relate to their non-mobile peers. Children who have made numerous moves during their childhood often find they have more in common with other mobile children, regardless of nationality, than they do with people who haven't moved. This is particularly true for brats who have spent time overseas. Having seen places and experienced things that most U.S. citizens only dream about, brats are eager to share their experiences with others. Because of their international exposure, many brats become frustrated with the lack of knowledge demonstrated by geographically stable families. Knowing (or at least believing) that they have a better understanding of world geography and politics.[53]

Can't tell you how many times i've found a kid who didn't know anything about politics of how the world was laid out.

BTW to answer your question on famous poeple

United States

[edit] Air Force

* Jessica Alba Actress [1]
* John Denver Singer [2]
* Mia Hamm Soccer Player [3]
* Heloise Columnist "Ask Heloise" [4]
* Kris Kristofferson Country Singer won 1970' Song of the Year [5]
* Swoosie Kurtz Two Time Tony Award Winner [6]
* Shawn Michaels WWE Champion [7]
* Victoria Principal Actress [8]
* Mykelti Williamson Actor most famous for role of Bubba in "Forest Gump" [9]
* Danny Wuerffel Heisman Trophy Winner and NFL Quarterback [10]

[edit] Army

* Hunter "Patch" Adams Doctor made famous by Robin Williams role [11]
* Christina Aguilera Singer [12]
* Joelle Carter Modell [13]
* Johnny Damon Baseball Player [14]
* Faye Dunaway Actress [15]
* Scott Hall Professional Wrestler [16]
* Cardinal Bernard Law Archbishop of Boston [17]
* Douglas MacArthur Medal of Honor Winner and Supreme Allied Commander in the Pacific during WWII [18]
* Jerri Manthey actress who is best known for her appearances on reality shows
* Julianne Moore Four Time Academy Award Nominee [19]
* Shaquille O'Neal Basketball Superstar [20]
* Priscilla Presley Wife of Elvis Presley and Actress [21]
* Jeri Ryan "7 of 9" in StarTrek: Enterprise [22]
* Norman Schwarzkopf, Jr. General in charge of Desert Storm
* Sharon Tate Actress [23]
* Mary Edwards Wertsch Author of the book Military Brat: Legacies of Childhood Inside the Fortress
* Bruce Willis Actor [24]
* Reese Witherspoon Actress [25]
* Eldrick "Tiger" Woods Golfer [26]
* James Woods Actor [27]

[edit] Marines

* Pat Conroy Writer whose book/film "The Great Santini" is about military brats [28]
* Robert Hays Actor [29]
* Austin St. John Actor -- Power Ranger [30]
* John Phillips of the Mamas &the Popas [31]
* Michael Stipe Vocalist for R.E.M. [32][33]

[edit] Navy

* Andy Dick Actor/Comedian [34]
* Robert Duvall Academy Award winning Actor, also played Bull Meecham from "The Great Santini" [35]
* Kathie Lee Gifford[36]
* Mark Hamill Luke Skywalker in the Star Wars Trilogy [37]
* Bob Marley Singer[38]
* John S. McCain, Jr. Commander in Chief, Pacific Command while son was prisoner of war. Father also a 4 star admiral. [39]
* John McCain (John S. McCain III) Senator [40]
* Jim Morrison Singer [41]

[edit] Branch of service unknown

enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom