Military kids, and why they are better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
parismouton said:
also, my 7 yo daughter is fluent in 3 languages. she' also about to start german after xmas at school and wants to take flemish on the side with belgian grandpa. she'll soon have 5 working languages, will this make her the "biggerest and bestest" kid in the world? watch out all you goddam army kids :)

she can be the next Prime Minister :D couldnt do a worse job than blair.. lol..

or mabye nik would make a better Prime Minister, he does totally own us all after all.. he must be better than Blair cause he was bought up traveling all over the world without a stable education ;)

mark thorpe said:
she can be the next Prime Minister :D couldnt do a worse job than blair.. lol..

or mabye nik would make a better Prime Minister, he does totally own us all after all.. he must be better than Blair cause he was bought up traveling all over the world without a stable education ;)

the least we should expect from Zoe is prime minister of the UK, president of an independant Scotland and madame la presidente of France, all at the same time :)

also, my 7 yo daughter is fluent in 3 languages. she' also about to start german after xmas at school and wants to take flemish on the side with belgian grandpa. she'll soon have 5 working languages, will this make her the "biggerest and bestest" kid in the world? watch out all you goddam army kids
anyway, this is humouring me

Little kids pick up languages far faster then normal adults. My sister barely spoke a wor do of German and didn't understand much either a year ago, now shes as good as me, and will surpass me very soon.

parismouton said:
the least we should expect from Zoe is prime minister of the UK, president of an independant Scotland and madame la presidente of France, all at the same time :)

at the very least.. she should be the president of the US in her spare time though, as she can speak multi languages :)

also.. chinese and indian arent technically 'languages'

chinese is split into many different dialects;

In addition to the national standard spoken language/dialect (Putonghua / Guoyu), every region and locality has its own native variants of spoken Chinese. The map below depicts these subdivisions ("languages" or "dialect groups") within Chinese. The traditionally recognized seven main groups, in order of population size are:

* Mandarin (Simplified Chinese: 北方话or官话; Traditional Chinese: 北方話 or 官話; pinyin: běifānghuà or guānhuà), (c. 800 million), not to be confused with Putonghua / Guoyu, often also called "Mandarin", the official spoken language of China;

* Wu 吳/吴 , which includes Shanghainese, (c. 90 million),
* Cantonese 粵/粤, (c. 80 million),
* Min é–©/é—½, which includes Taiwanese, (c. 50 million),
* Xiang 湘, (c. 35 million),
* Hakka 客家 or 客, (c. 35 million),
* Gan è´›/èµ£, (c. 20 million)

Chinese linguists have recently distinguished 3 more groups from the traditional seven:

* Jin 晉/晋 from Mandarin
* Hui å¾½ from Wu
* Ping 平話/平话 partly from Cantonese

There are also many smaller groups that are not yet classified, such as: Danzhou dialect, spoken in Danzhou, on Hainan Island; Xianghua (乡话), not to be confused with Xiang (湘), spoken in western Hunan; and Shaozhou Tuhua, spoken in northern Guangdong. The Dungan language, spoken in Central Asia, is very closely related to Mandarin. However, it is not generally considered "Chinese," because it is written in Cyrillic and spoken by people outside China who are not considered Chinese in any sense. See List of Chinese dialects for a comprehensive listing of individual dialects within these large, broad groupings.
The varieties of spoken Chinese in China (CLICK double rectangle image to the right for a larger map.)
Enlarge
The varieties of spoken Chinese in China (CLICK double rectangle image to the right for a larger map.)

In general, the above languages / dialect groups do not have sharp boundaries. As with many areas that were linguistically diverse for a long time, it is not always clear how the speeches of various parts of China should be classified. The Ethnologue lists a total of 14, but the number varies between seven and seventeen depending on the classification scheme being followed. In any case, some dialects belonging to the same group may nevertheless be mutually unintelligible, while other dialects split up among several groups may in fact share many similarities due to geographical proximity.

In general, mountainous South China displays more linguistic diversity than the flat North China. In parts of South China, a major city's dialect may be marginally intelligible to close neighbours. For instance, Wuzhou is about 120 miles upstream from Guangzhou, but its dialect is more like Standard Cantonese spoken in Guangzhou, than is that of Taishan, 60 miles southwest of Guangzhou and separated by several rivers from it (Ramsey, 1987).

and indian is the same..

The languages of India primarily belong to two major linguistic families, Indo-European (whose branch Indo-Aryan is spoken by about 74% of the population) and Dravidian (spoken by about 24%). Other languages spoken in India come from the Austro-Asiatic and Tibeto-Burman linguistic families, as well as numerous language isolates. The Andamanese languages, spoken on the Andaman Islands, are apparently not related to any other language family. The number of mother tongues in India is as high as 1,652, of which 24 languages are spoken by a million or more people. Three millennia of language contact situation have led to a lot of mutual influence among the four language families in India and South Asia. Three contact languages have played an important role in the history of India: Sanskrit, Persian and English.[1] Two classical languages native to the land are Sanskrit[2] and Tamil.[3][4][5]

Article 343 of the Indian Constitution recognises Hindi in Dēvanāgari script as the official language of the union [6]; the Constitution also allows for the continuation of use of the English language for official purposes. Article 345 provides constitutional recognition to "national languages" of the union to include any language adopted by a State Legislature as the official language of that state. Until the Twenty-First Amendment of the Constitution in 1967, the country recognised 14 official regional languages. The Eighth Schedule and the Seventy-First Amendment provided for the inclusion of Sindhi, Konkani, Manipuri and Nepali, thereby increasing the number of official regional languages of India to 18 [7]. Individual states, whose borders are mostly drawn on socio-linguistic lines, are free to decide their own language for internal administration and education. The Constitution of India recognises 22 "regional languages", spoken throughout the country, namely Assamese, Bengali, Bodo, Dogri, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Kashmiri, Konkani, Maithili, Malayalam, Meitei, Marathi, Nepali, Oriya, Punjabi, Sanskrit, Santhali, Sindhi, Tamil, Telugu and Urdu. Hindi, apart from being an official language of the Union of India, is the official language of the states Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Jharkhand, Uttaranchal, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Chattisgarh, Himachal Pradesh, Haryana and the National Capital Territory of Delhi. English is the co-official language of the Indian Union, and that each of the several states mentioned above may also have another co-official language.

so technically, no, they are not languages, there are many, many different dialects..

(quotes from wiki)

unless they change the constitution for Arnie to become pres. of US of A they she'd be stuck. she wasn't born there, but may well have been conceived there ;)

my god, just thought of passports etc. my daughter already hold french and uk passports. is entitled to a belgian one but her mother has never done the paperwork, and in 30 months she will be granted a dutch one.bloody hell, she'll become hired gun like the Jackal or something :p

yip, the language thing, was sure of something along those lines. i nearly went to work in Bangalore for a year and they spoke something other than 'Indian' there. Also know an irish fashion designer in Shanghai and she mentioned the various languages/dialects

cheers.

parismouton said:
I Like the sig, witty & true, I always check my spelling before I send, although I do slip up occasionly I admit, there is a spell check, mine's in my Google tool bar.

Let me completely jump off topic.

Lets first define what better is, since some members here have stated your no better then anyone else. Now I won't use my own definition for this, so I took the liberty of googling better.

3 : more attractive, favorable, or commendable <in better circumstances>
4 : more advantageous or effective <a better solution>
5 : improved in accuracy or performance <building a better engine>

That's what I got, now since one member stated “Your no better then anyone else” this implies your just as good as Hitler, Stalin, Saddam, and any other murder/rapist out there. Now I personally don't want to think I'm just like them in the fact that I'm no better then them.

Also better can also mean more effective, which also implies your better at something. Lets say this your awesome with PCs, your buddy is new to PCs, so since no one is better or worse then you, your in fact just as good as him. Since of course no one is better then anyone else.

Now better can also mean you can have a edge, now here is my entire point.
Military kids have the following edges over MOST (not all MOST of the population of America)
1. Tend to be bilingual fluently (higher rate then most of the population of America)
2. Are used to moving, and settling in. In a global economy this is very important.
3. Was under one of the best educate systems (as in high schools) that America has, there are prob better but how many?
4. Have had the luxury of seeing the world, and will be able to talk more about different cultures of the world because he has seen more then most civilian people. No watching them on TV does not count.
5. Chances are their parents had a STRONG backbone, and they never broke it. Implying they now have discipline, yes civilian parents are just as capable, but the % is higher with Military kids.

Now am I'm saying because of this I'm entitled to more rights then others, no I'm not, however I'm implying I have a edge in those 5 areas. Most of which are real life skills.

So, if you say your no better then anyone else then your just as good as everyone, which implies your just as good as tyrants, dictators, murders, crack heads, rapists, and [joke] catholic priests. [/joke]

So in conclusion do military kids have more of an advantage then Civilian kids? Based upon those 5 categories most certainly.

Nik00117 said:
Also better can also mean more effective, which also implies your better at something. Lets say this your awesome with PCs, your buddy is new to PCs, so since no one is better or worse then you, your in fact just as good as him. Since of course no one is better then anyone else.

yes people have different skills. But I wouldn't say that "I'm better than you" to any of my friends, even though I know more about computers than most of them.

1. Would you say that mexican immigrants are better than other american people because they are bilingual? And I don't know about your education system, but I believe that if you want to study a foreign language it is possible.
2. True, but don't say that the moving around doesn't have any negative effects, like losing friends etc.
3. Does this apply for all spoiled military brats? And you only finished high school? Now I don't think that is the best possible education you can get.
4. And this makes you better how? I've only been to 2 continents, but I can fully understand people with different backgrounds.
5. So military parents > civial parents? Kind of a strong argument to say. Especially when you can't give me any proof that military parents would do their job better than civilian parents.

Nik00117 said:

Lets first define what better is, since some members here have stated your no better then anyone else. Now I won't use my own definition for this, so I took the liberty of googling better.

That's what I got, now since one member stated “Your no better then anyone else” this implies your just as good as Hitler, Stalin, Saddam, and any other murder/rapist out there. Now I personally don't want to think I'm just like them in the fact that I'm no better then them.

Now better can also mean you can have a edge, now here is my entire point.
Military kids have the following edges over MOST (not all MOST of the population of America)
1. Tend to be bilingual fluently (higher rate then most of the population of America)
2. Are used to moving, and settling in. In a global economy this is very important.
3. Was under one of the best educate systems (as in high schools) that America has, there are prob better but how many?
4. Have had the luxury of seeing the world, and will be able to talk more about different cultures of the world because he has seen more then most civilian people. No watching them on TV does not count.
5. Chances are their parents had a STRONG backbone, and they never broke it. Implying they now have discipline, yes civilian parents are just as capable, but the % is higher with Military kids.

Now am I'm saying because of this I'm entitled to more rights then others, no I'm not, however I'm implying I have a edge in those 5 areas. Most of which are real life skills.

So, if you say your no better then anyone else then your just as good as everyone, which implies your just as good as tyrants, dictators, murders, crack heads, rapists, and [joke] catholic priests. [/joke]

So in conclusion do military kids have more of an advantage then Civilian kids? Based upon those 5 categories most certainly.

so do you have any proof to back up these claims that military kids are better than civilian kids (parents as well). i'd just like to see some type of study that proves that this type of parenting is the best way to go or that military kids are somehow "better". you can be better at SOMETHING than someone, that does not make you better than them which is what you are implying. i think you need to get off your high horse and come back to reality. enjoy your wonderful life being better than everyone, it won't get you far...

Nik00117 said:

yeah im sure you went to go look that up before you posted :rolleyes:
how so?
4. Have had the luxury of seeing the world, and will be able to talk more about different cultures of the world because he has seen more then most
talk with what friends?
WHERE do you get off telling me that your parents are better than mine because they treat you like shit? what f*****g statistic are you on that makes you say that JUST because ur parents wer brought up in that shitty enviroment, makes you think taht they are better parents, because they dont treat you like a baby? because they arent always there? thats their job, and my parents may not make me get up and work everyday, but they always know the right thing to say when im in a predicament

guys, honestly, i mean if he had all this ^^^ before he posted, then he must be better than us...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom