PS3 vs Wii

Thats true, but take note, that HD-DVD isn't exactly something the Xbox 360 had in mind from the start. Even though it can play them with an attachment, its not the same as what the PS3 is doing, having it built in to use as a multimedia device at all times.

I doubt if HD-DVD kicks off, I'll want my Xbox 360 plugged into an external device playing HD-DVD's anyway. I'd much rather when prices drop, buy an external unit apart from the 360.

Especially since the HD-DVD unit on the 360 can't use the real HDTV cables that most TV's need to sumbit the signal in the full res. (I heard that was a problem).

HD-TV, at least here in the UK isn't that much of an issue at the moment, with no channels really offering it. We have the odd subscription channel, like Sky Movies that offers HD, but nothing like America and that have.

When the Digital switch over happens, we'll probably see more Digital channels and so more HDTV channels since they'll be more bandwidth.
But I doubt we'll see full channels produced in HD for another 2-3 years yet.

Plus, even though I have a 360, I personally want Blu-Ray to win, since it offers alot more space for use with PC backups, though, even if it lost as a multimedia format, it'd probably still be available for backup purposes...

Actually, the main focus of the Xbox 360 is games first, multimedia second. The whole purpose of putting HD-DVD in an external unit is because of price and the ability to get a year headstart. If they tried putting internal HD-DVD drives, the launch would probably be delayed and screwed up like the PS3 launch.

It's also a good option for those who don't have a dedicated HD-DVD player but have an Xbox 360 and want to view HD-DVD movies. It's $200 and it outputs at 1080p. Component and VGA are more than capable of transmitting high-definition signals. The only difference is that HDMI combines audio and video into one digital package. Even if you had an Xbox 360 with the HD-DVD player hooked up to a monitor through VGA, you can still watch HD-DVD movies and play Xbox 360 games on 720p or 1080p.

i dont think if hd-dvd and blu-ray fail then xbox and ps3 will fail. sony would take a bigger hit though because they've probably put so much more of their company into promoting blu-ray.

the wii is an awesome concept, i mean it will be the biggest impulse buy, when looking at price tags of $600 or even $400 the wii will become very tempting, and looks like they're not having a problem of supplying it.

They are here at the moment :p

No one, and I mean no one can get any now, until around January here in the UK if you haven't pre-ordered.

Zaki said:
i dont think if hd-dvd and blu-ray fail then xbox and ps3 will fail. sony would take a bigger hit though because they've probably put so much more of their company into promoting blu-ray.

the wii is an awesome concept, i mean it will be the biggest impulse buy, when looking at price tags of $600 or even $400 the wii will become very tempting, and looks like they're not having a problem of supplying it.

Well if HD-DVD fails, Microsoft won't fall as hard because the Xbox 360 doesn't completely revolve around it. Whereas Blu-Ray is one of the core components of the PS3. If consumers don't want HD-DVD, Microsoft could just stop with the external HD-DVD drive, but if consumers don't want Blu-Ray, what are all those who already have PS3's going to do with their console that has a optical drive that flopped? DVD's will be your only option.

Sony produces Blu-ray though, so games could still be released using it.

Its like the UMD discs for the PSP. They failed to produce movies, because no one wanted them, but they still produce games on them.

Kage said:
Well thats just a mishap, and they have a new strap now.

If thats all you can say to say thats bad about it, your not doing too good :p

It would have been a very minor amount of people that actually go mental while playing games.
I mean, for instance, some Americans saying its too much excersise...pfft
Yeah, I read about that on www.wiihaveaproblem.com < That site is scary. :p

alvino said:
Well if HD-DVD fails, Microsoft won't fall as hard because the Xbox 360 doesn't completely revolve around it. Whereas Blu-Ray is one of the core components of the PS3. If consumers don't want HD-DVD, Microsoft could just stop with the external HD-DVD drive, but if consumers don't want Blu-Ray, what are all those who already have PS3's going to do with their console that has a optical drive that flopped? DVD's will be your only option.

absolutely, and Kage makes a very good point that blu-ray might just become a ps3 exclusive format. in which case (if both hd-dvd and blu-ray failed) sony would still be able to boast higher capacity discs for their gaming console.

I don't see how both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray could fail, but saying that, nothing will surprise me.

If no one was ready for the HD revoloution yet, and consumers didn't buy anything, of course they'll fail.

There are many alternatives to the formats though that should be considererd. All having alot more space than DVD, and having the cheaper soloution to HD-DVD, and definietly Blu-Ray.

If its just for movies though, it won't matter what wins, since movies will fit on both, or even the alternatives (just) with some extra features and that.

It will matter on the other hand if PC backups and other things remain on the pipeline for these next gen formats.

I wouldn't be surprised even, if HD-DVD won, and Blu-Ray was still available, for like I said backup, and of course the PS3.

The ps3's blu-ray probably will fail. Sony tries to make new formats of their own.. over and over and over.. they tried with their walkmans, their PSP, and now the PS3...

The way I look at it is, what if you had a blu-ray disc with a lot of your information on it that you backed up from your PC? that ONE disc... if you lost it or it got destroyed or w/e... thats a lot of stuff to lose.. whereas one cd or one dvd even, is no where near as much. *shrugs*

I'll be getting a 360 personally.. when the prices drops. Nothing on the PS3 has enticed me, and even though i was disappointed in halo2, i'll probably end up with halo3 anyway.. (not to mention gears of war!)
considering that they still make great lan party games (had one two nights ago, so fun)

The only good multiplayer game i've ever seen on the PS2 is socom.. but even then, I don't like the game much. Maybe when the PS3 is $200 in a few years.

They will boast and go and on about how their systems can do so much.. meh, I use my PC and my Modded xbox for that crap, all I want out of a new game console is, well, games. If I could get a stripped down version of the 360 which is guaranteed to play all 360 games and still have some backwards compatability with old xbox games, yet not have all that extra media crap I don't care for.. i'd go for it.

Back
Top Bottom