Notebook Dedicated GPU Necessary [Vista Compatibility In Question]

G9

Daemon Poster
Let's see here... is a dedicated GPU for a laptop really necessary? When will video processing cut into the shared memory of an integrated chip?

-I'm thinking of cutting out Aero in Vista...
-No gaming
-Web Design and other 2D applications
-Simple 3D like Swift3D
-Some video editing
-Music production
-Sound editing

Will any of the above cut into shared memory?

If the answer is yes, I'm going to abandon purchase plans for an Alienware Sentia 3450m (14.1" screen, maximum 2GB RAM and 2.33 ghz Core 2 Duo) or Sony VGN-C190 (13.3" screen, maximum 2GB RAM and 2.33 ghz Core 2 Duo) and just get a MacBook Pro 2.33ghz loaded with BootCamp... but then again, seperate purchase of Vista will boost the price nearer to a Sony VGN-SZ390 (13.3" screen, maximum 2GB RAM, 2.33 ghz Core 2 Duo and dedicated graphics and hybrid to integrated), fully pumped, which is around $3000.

And this also brings up processors... what's the performance difference between 2.0 and 2.33ghz, and is it noticeable when coming to the things I'm doing (see list above)?

CPU speeds are noticable, but not a lot.

Next, a notebook decicated GPU is hard to find alone and install on the board. Your best bet is to look for those Nvidia Geforce XXXXGo series, as they are dedicated.

Yeah... I have the 7200's and 7400's in scope. But the question is, will my normal RAM suffer from video applications that I listed?
-Web Design and other 2D applications
-Simple 3D like Swift3D
-Some video editing
-Music production
-Sound editing
Will any of those cut into normal RAM because of the shared memory that the video system uses?

No, it shouldn't. Of course, it will take memory to load it, but it won't be like the RAM takes of death.

I remember reading though that running 2D apps like Photoshop takes gpu power though... well, let's do this. With what I'm doing, web design and music production, will the following perform the same?

1. 2.33ghz, 2GB RAM, integrated video
2. 2.33ghz, 2GB RAM, 7200GeForce

So, when running web design/music production/video editing apps, the second will always outperform?

Back
Top Bottom