college student in need of help

metrosomething

Solid State Member
Hello everyone

Im a new student in college and my major is computer science and i have recently become very bored with my school work. I would like to gain the knowledge of computer programming but dont know where to start since im have been taking mostly my core classes.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me where to start?
any books websites...i wont be taking my major classes until next fall and anyone please help me ...i would like to gain some knowledge before i get my internship.

my advice to you is to talk to one of the instructors in your computer science department and find out what kind of languages they start out teaching for the basic classes such as what they called computer science 1 in my school they used python and the next class moved into c++. it would be good to get a head start on that because it will save you some headache in the class and you won't be thrown to the wolves like so many people in my class. i had been programming since high school so it didn't really bother me at all but some really had trouble. chances are c++ will be what your school uses to get you going, but talk to an instuctor and see what they recommend. as for books to get, go to your local book store and pick one out on the language you choose and start reading and applying what you learn. good luck and if you have any questions just ask, i'll be graduating with my double major in math and cs this spring so i've already been there done that. :)

thanks for the advice the problem is i will be transferring in the fall to maryland university and my school's cs classses do not transfer over so i wanted to get a head start.
I guess i will call up maryland university monday morning before i begin learning
thanks for the advice

Back
Top Bottom