Modem and Sata help please!

I've got a U.S. Robotics modem for my new computer V.92 and for some reason the best I can connect to the internet at is 24kbs a second. My last computer dialed in at 42.6 normally. I've checked the settings maximum port speed is set a 115200. I have installed the drivers and went to the included control center and looked around but found nothing that has helped. When I click my dial in it seems like it takes about 5-10 seconds before it starts to dial. I'm not sure if this is the problem and what I should do to fix it. I know my old one started to dial as soon as you hit dial.

Second part I've got a new 400gb Seagate Sata 3.0gb/s Drive but its only reconizing 127gb. I've went through the bios and it is showing 400 but when I click my C drive its showing 127gbs. How do I configure it to read the entire drive?

Thanks for the help!

about the hdd.
Take it out of the computer and check the jumpers. Check that you don't have the jumper that limits the size in there. If the jumpers aren't limiting it then most likely you just haven't partitioned all of it. Go to control panel -> something (admin tools?) -> computer management? -> disc management and make new partitions. Sorry if those aren't the right terms, I'm not using windows right now. (and my windows isn't in english anyway) And then partition the rest of the hdd.

For the SATA drive problem, download DiscWizard from Seagate and set up you new drive using that. If that doesn't do the trick, there is a registry setting utility you can download there also that will enable support for drives larger than 137GB. :D

Are ya running XP? And if so, have ya got SP2 installed, its a limitation by the OS. For the modem, check for new drivers, and if ya using the newest driver, then try the previous version

Hey thanks for the help guys. I said screw it with the modem I took the old one from my old computer and through in this. It connected at my normal speed so i'll email USR and see what bs they have to tell me. As for the HD. Yes I have SP2 installed. I checked out that disc wizard thing and downloaded the ATA version. I'm guessing thats the correct version i'm running a Sata drive and XP. But when I restart it and load it back up its still showing 127gb?

When you installed windows, did you have any services packs, if you didnt have them, and then updated it afterwards, then thats why it can only detect up to 127GB. The rest just remains unformatted. You can create a new partition using windows to use the rest, but if you want to make 1 big drive, you will have to buy a partitioning program, or find one on the net for free.

eh, yeah I just bought a 250 gb seagate.. it says its like a 230.

As for my 80gb I had in there, I made it a slave and now it only shows 30gbs... Ill try everything here. thanks

-Q

MattieDaShark83 said:
Alright I went into the disc wizard and was able to make the partitions! Quick question though after I formatted everything It said my total HD space is 371.3GB. It is supposed to be a 400gb HD?

Yeah thats fine, its because of the 1000 to 1024 conversion. HDDmanufacturers normally class 1gb as 1000mb, when its really 1024mb to 1gb. Also the actual format takes up space aswell

Back
Top Bottom