Problem with Mobo and PS

marcmarteleira

In Runtime
Ok, basically I was having problems with my computer, it keep freezing, etc. One day I checked my Power Supply and saw the fan wasnt spinning and thats why it kept freezing, so I decided to go get a new one.

I looked at a nearby lolBestBuy store and they had a 500 watt for $89.99CA, I said screw that and went to a nearby FactoryDirect (www.factorydirect.ca) and bought a new 500 watt power supply for $29.99 with 10 dollar mail in rebate AND a new ASRock P4i65G motherboard for my computer for $69.99, which pretty much totalled to the amount of the PS from BestBuy.

I went home excited for a new motherboard (My Previous one had no working USB ports, a AGP 4x port and no SATA support), I plug it all in, I flip my case switch to see it start up and I see its loading, YAY, On my first try ever my computer is all good after switching the motherboard and powersupply, I notice my computer was off so I was confused and turned it back on, it was randomly shutting down before it even loads the OS, when it doesnt shut down and it goes to the "Windows Start Up" thing where it says it wasnt shut down properly I choose a option, the screen goes blue for a second then shuts down. Specs:

500 Watt Power Supply
512 MB DDR-SDRAM
80 GB Samsung HDD
Intel Celeron D 2.49Ghz
ASRock P4i65G Mobo
nVidia GeForce FX5500 Series vc.

Please help, thanks in advance.

Im guessing its because ya probably using XP, and ya cant swap out a main part like the mobo, because it wont work. XP checks the hardware, and when it sees a major change like the mobo it causes problems. It could possibly be an incompatability with one of ya older parts fitted to the new mobo

I would try a WINDOWS REPAIR

How to do a Windows Repair

1. Go into your computers BIOS and set your boot order to cd rom first (usually DEL key, or F1, F2,)
2. Put the XP CD in the drive and save and exit the BIOS
3. Press a key when you see the screen that says press any key to boot from CD (right after the POST)
4. let windows load its files
5. press enter,(not R you dont want the recovery console)
6. then press f8
7. then press R for repair
8. and let the repair process begin.

good luck man

Just tried and it shut down before it finished loading the files, this is pissing me off, It shutsdown before the windows logo even appears.

It may be related to hardware then.

Do you need anydata off the harddrive?

If not i would wipe and reload

Mate can you do a easy test for me. Go into the BIOS, and let your mach sit in there for about 30mins. Just so we can see if its a software issue with the Hard drive,even better - do the same thing with the hard drive out of the mach, and the CD drivers unplugged. The BIOS is the best place do test hardware because its not needing any OS to help it out. If it reset while in the bios or frezze plz let me know.

Its not freezing or turning off or anything with the HDD and DVD Burner plugged in, Im guessing my XP installation is causing the problem

EDIT: Nvm, it just shut down while it was in Bios with no DVD or HDD plugged in

marcmarteleira said:
Its not freezing or turning off or anything with the HDD and DVD Burner plugged in, Im guessing my XP installation is causing the problem

EDIT: Nvm, it just shut down while it was in Bios with no DVD or HDD plugged in

then its hardware for sure

marcmarteleira said:
Well, do you know which hardware it would be? My friend said its my mobo

there is a good chance,

I would try to swap somthing easy first though, like ram

Back
Top Bottom