Moving all your files to another HD?

sanka

Daemon Poster
I have all my files on a hard drive, and I want to move them to another one. I also want to be able to do this without having to lose any files/reinstall XP.

I think I can do this by booting with a disk and just drag+dropping (I can change the Hard Drive that gets booted from in BIOS). I don't have a boot disk though, is there anyway I can get one? And will this work?

You need to install a second HDD to ya computer as a slave, then just boot the pc as normal and drag / drop the files to the new HDD through windows explorer

But if I drag and drop the files they will most likely be "in use" and won't be able to be moved.

Edit: Yeah... thats what it said..

Double Edit: I just realized my HDD software has a program that lets you copy files to another partition, I'm running that right now, and I'll let you know if it works.

What files are you trying to move exactly? If ya wanting to move music files and stuff, then use the method above. If ya wanting to move system files, like a copy of ya HDD, then ya will need to make an image of the drive

Yes, music files and all that sort of thing can be copied. If you're copying Windows folder, it won't work, because the system relies on it. If you want to make a entire copy, then you will need a drive ghosting software, like Norton Ghost or Aconis.

Back
Top Bottom