Reputable data recovery shop?

aj800

Solid State Member
Hello,

I recently had trouble with my 80 W.D. hard drive and would like to know the best place to send it in hopes that they may be able to recover my files. Unexpectedly one day my computer would not boot. I got the known <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll message. I tried using the Recovery Console (repair) from the Windows disk, replacing the corrupted or missing files, and all of the other documented commands to fix this problem, but had no luck. It gives me one option and that is to REFORMAT.

I then tried setting it up as a slave drive in a different computer hoping that I could at least access the data on the drive, but I was still unable to access it. It would recognize the drive, but show that it's full(which maybe 20gigs has really been used) and would not allow any type of access to it.

I am done messing with it and just want to send it somewhere. I have very valuable pictures and docs on this drive and would really like to get them back. I have considered a quick reformat and then using a data recovery tool, but don't want to risk making things worse.

I am thinking this can be corrected with software, but I'm not sure. I know most data recovery places are intense lab type places and I don't know if my problem falls into this category.

How would software work, if I'm unable to access the drive?

Any suggestions?

TIA

Psh, that's me out of this thread, I could recommend a fantastic one over here in the UK, sorry pal.

Ok first thing, is data recovery isnt cheap, i think you pay per MB that they recover. I would sugest using a data recovery program like getdataback, this is an excellent piece of software, its not free, but IMO it out performs any of the freebies available, and its never let me down yet. There are 2 versions available, one for FAT and one for NTFS. Also give these 2 solutions a go

HAL.DLL is Missing - Updated by MVP Alex Nichol

Option 1:

Boot from your CD and follow the directions to start Recovery Console. Then:

Attrib -H -R -S C:\Boot.ini
DEL C:\Boot.ini
BootCfg /Rebuild
Fixboot

Option 2:

Boot from your CD and follow the directions below to start Recovery Console.

Insert the Setup compact disc (CD) and restart the computer. If prompted, select any options required to boot from the CD.
When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts; choose the repair or recover option by pressing R.

If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access from the Recovery Console.
When prompted, type the Administrator password. (if you didn't create one try pressing enter).

At the system prompt, type Recovery Console commands; type help for a list of commands, or help commandname for help on a specific command.

Most likely you will need to expand the file from the CD. The command would be expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll. Substitute d: for the drive letter of your CD. Once you have expanded the file type "exit" to exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

Raffaz said:
Ok first thing, is data recovery isnt cheap, i think you pay per MB that they recover. I would sugest using a data recovery program like getdataback, this is an excellent piece of software, its not free, but IMO it out performs any of the freebies available, and its never let me down yet. There are 2 versions available, one for FAT and one for NTFS. Also give these 2 solutions a go

HAL.DLL is Missing - Updated by MVP Alex Nichol

Option 1:

Boot from your CD and follow the directions to start Recovery Console. Then:

DEL C:\Boot.ini
BootCfg /Rebuild
Fixboot

Option 2:

Boot from your CD and follow the directions below to start Recovery Console.

Insert the Setup compact disc (CD) and restart the computer. If prompted, select any options required to boot from the CD.
When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts; choose the repair or recover option by pressing R.

If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access from the Recovery Console.
When prompted, type the Administrator password. (if you didn't create one try pressing enter).

At the system prompt, type Recovery Console commands; type help for a list of commands, or help commandname for help on a specific command.

Most likely you will need to expand the file from the CD. The command would be expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll. Substitute d: for the drive letter of your CD. Once you have expanded the file type "exit" to exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

Raffaz,

I think I've attempted all of the above without success(don't know if I did them correctly), but I'll give it another try. I'm a newbie at most of this, so I really never know if I'm doing it the correct way or in the correct order. I'm thinking it's something very fixable, but I really don't know. The last thing I want to do is spend hundreds of dollars if I don't need to. I'll give the options a try again this evening.

For option #1- Do I type in the first command just like it says?

Thanks for your help. -adam

adam04 said:
Raffaz,

I think I've attempted all of the above without success(don't know if I did them correctly), but I'll give it another try. I'm a newbie at most of this, so I really never know if I'm doing it the correct way or in the correct order. I'm thinking it's something very fixable, but I really don't know. The last thing I want to do is spend hundreds of dollars if I don't need to. I'll give the options a try again this evening.

For option #1- Do I type in the first command just like it says?

Thanks for your help. -adam

Yeah do each command as typed above, 1 after the other

Back
Top Bottom