video scrambled

steve-o1

Beta member
Hi all--I'm new to this forum, hope i can get some help. Thanks in advance.
Compaq Presario 5280 (I know, it's old) bone stock except samsung 52x cd burner. My secondary PC. Power-up and video is scrambled. Once in a while it will boot ok but video degrades-lines appear. Monitor display has blinking squares and numbers. OS-win98 1st ed. Ati rage pro integrated video in motherboard. Celeron proc:/ I replaced monitor and same problem. Refresh rate comes up different each time I boot. Any Ideas??

try re-seating your graphics card, have alook see if everything is pluged in correctly also see if there is possible damage to the pins on the cables etc

Thanks. I've reseated and checked connections pin damage etc. I cant navigate past safe mode because I cant see what the screen is saying..it's all garbled and unreadable. Do you know if I can buy a new harddrive already formatted for windows? (plug and play) The vid card is part of the motherboard. I could also try to install a seperate vid-card (this is my wifes computer--she loves it even though its win98 -she doesnt like the new dell w/ P-4 -xp..go figure. :rolleyes: I was wondering if there's a boot disc with alternative drivers that bypass my default boot sequence since i cant see what I'm doing...
Thanks again
PS I just got a 100 gig external hd if that would help.

If you use safe mode, that is using alternative drivers. It sounds like its on its way out to me. Have you got a spare graphics card that you can test on it?

Thanks everyone for the responses. No I dont have a spare graphics card unless one out of a Dell will work with a Compaq--I heard it wont. Is this true?

It doesn't matter what computer it is out of, it depends what kind it is. If it is a PCI PCI E or AGP and you have a spare slot in your machine, it should work fine.

im about 98% sure its your power supply.. trust me, this same exact kind of thing happened to me twice already. heres a link to my oooooolldd thread from the first time it happened.. http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=6312

i guess try and get a known good working PS and test it out. if everything is fine after that, then that is the prob. if not, then idk lol. just thought id help out.

Back
Top Bottom