OMG, is Nintendo already in trouble?

Yeah, I saw in my local video shop magazine that the PS3 (40GB version) will be AU $999.00 when it first comes out. No way I'm spending that much on a console. I could build a decent computer for that much. Much more useful.

well... TBH I already have a farily decent TV, it's widescreen,
and it digital ready,
I've had it for years, so I really don't see the point in upgrading....

not for HDTV, I know that you can see a difference, but it's simply not as much of an issue here in the UK as it in in America or Japan where HDTV was invented.

(here's why...)
PAL = 625lines (576 visible) 50 frames per second
NSTC = 525lines (484 visible) 29.97 frames per second
HDTV (720p) = 720lines 60 frames per second
HDTV (1080p) = 1080 lines 25 frames per second

PS3 is only HDTV 720p
so you can see the actual improvement in picture quality for us europeans isn't all that markable...
if you have a 1080p TV that doesn't downscale, then the PS3 will adjust for you to 480p (technically worse than either PAL or NTSC...

the sources were Wikipedia. and
http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/746/746282p1.html

PS3 sucks

PS3 will be able to get up to 1080 though, but at the moment, I heard reports it couldn't with most TV's.

I do agree that PAL, is slightly better than what Americans get normally, but your a bit out with the FPS.

PAL outputs usually at 25FPS in broadcasting, but can reach 50fps, while I believe NTSC outputs 29.7fps broadcasting, but can reach 60fps, i.e with a game console like mine can (Even though its a PAL TV, it supports NTSC signals)

I do notice differences with HDTV signals from TV's I see in shops, but mostly in overall quality of the image, especially on the bigger/clearer ones. But I'm guessing thats most likely because we have a rubbish TV compared to the widescreen ones they sell in shops :p not because its HD ready and the like.

Its about the same jump from VHS, offering 250 lines at 25fps, to DVD which offers a much higher 480. So, yeah, a difference would be noticable somewhat, with a good set, and quality cables.

Yeah, the PS3 is having trouble with upscaling DVD's and backwards compatible PSOne and PS2 games.

sony is just a jack of all trades, they dont specialize in anything which sucks also.

Yeah, they're a jack of all trades, but not very proficient at all trades either. There's always a problem one way or another.

I saw something yesterday that made me reaslie the error of my ways... (on really I'm not being sarcastic...)...

I'm blatently saying that the PS3 sucks...

but I've never actually played on one...

Fair enough, I *thikn* that it might suck, especially when compared to teh Wii...

but to be honest, untill I've actually played one, I'll never know...

and judging by how expensive they are, I'll probably never know either...

There were six PS3's at Target a few days ago--but all sold out, of course. Inside tip. I can't wait for them to come out again in January. I hope I have the opportunity to actually get one this time. You'll see another wave of crowds pushing, fighting their way through to get one.

root said:
I saw something yesterday that made me reaslie the error of my ways... (on really I'm not being sarcastic...)...

I'm blatently saying that the PS3 sucks...

but I've never actually played on one...

Fair enough, I *thikn* that it might suck, especially when compared to teh Wii...

but to be honest, untill I've actually played one, I'll never know...

and judging by how expensive they are, I'll probably never know either...

Haha, I don't know if Europe has kiosks out yet, but when they do, you could always go try it out. The MotorStorm demo is actually pretty fun.

Back
Top Bottom