Processor Help

P3PPERZ

Baseband Member
Building my first pc and wondering about putting the processor onto the motherboard. Iam afraid i will damage it by magnetic energy and stuff on my hands and it will fry the processor. How can I prevent this from happening so i dont mess up the processor? :confused:

P3PPERZ said:
Building my first pc and wondering about putting the processor onto the motherboard. Iam afraid i will damage it by magnetic energy and stuff on my hands and it will fry the processor. How can I prevent this from happening so i dont mess up the processor? :confused:
Static electricity is your biggest enemy, I prefer to work in bare feet on a tiled/concrete floor to reduce risk

Just make sure you ground yourself on a metal part of the case (by touching it) before you touch anything in there.

If you are mounting the cpu outside of the case then ensure you have an anti static bag (that the m/board came in) under the board.

Don't wear nylon or similar clothing if possibe as they create static through friction

Never touch the gold contacts/pins with bare skin also avoid touching the IHS on the top of the die with bare skin, skin oil residue is to be avoided.

Basically it is quite hard to bork a cpu with static, don't be too paranoid about it.

Good luck with your build.

Th eCPU istelf is static semnible, but, as long as you didn't drag your feet to build it, there's less chances. I would prefer though, to have rubber shoes or be on a hard and flat surface.

DILLIGAF said:
Just make sure you ground yourself on a metal part of the case (by touching it) before you touch anything in there.

If you are mounting the cpu outside of the case then ensure you have an anti static bag (that the m/board came in) under the board.

These are the things I keep in mind and I've been fine.

Don't worry about it too much, and the cpu won't break easily from static electricity, I even clean my cpu with just rubbing it on a normal t-shirt.

Usually, a static electricity discharge is dangerous when the PC is on or still has some electricity in the capacitors. The only thing that is dangerous about the PC parts, unplugged, is scratching.

Back
Top Bottom