How Good Is This???

abland007

Baseband Member
Hey guys, any advice would be great. i have the option to buy a new computer with the following components and was wondering if this would be a decent computer to play games like Countstrike/ Burn cds and DVS and surf the web.

Pentium D 915 Dual Core @ 2.8ghz

Gigabyte brand Mother Board- not positive on the model, but I dont think you can OC this board-- not positive though

1 gig ddr2 533mhz RAM

160 gb seagate 7200 rps SATA

Ge Force 7950 512MB Graphics card-

500 watt power supply

I would love any suggestions on what you guys think of this set up. I dont want to waste my money. Mainly I was wondering how good the CPU is. I know the graphics card is good but I want to know how much better the Pentium D is compared to my Pentium 4 2.27ghz that I currently have. Is this system already outdated?

Thanks in advance

it's a pretty nice computer, it will definitely run most games with high settings.

As for the cpu, well I'd get something else. If you are going to get an intel then go with the core 2 duo series. So much better, and they aren't too expensive either. Definitely the best cpu's on the market. Or then you could get a nice amd dual core for a little cheaper than the core 2 duos.
Something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103735
The cheapest core 2 duo is the E6300, and it's around $180.

And another gig of ram wouldn't hurt, though that 1gb will be great too if you don't want to spend more money.

Thank you for your help. I dont need to take over the world with this comp and I was trying to spend less than 900 bucks on the whole system. Is the pentium D crappy/good/average?? I have a pentium 4 2.27 right now and I kinda want to compare the two CPU's. I can get the Pentium D for like 90 at this store near my house. Would it be ok for what I need? Also, how good is that vid card that I mentioned? Will the CPU be powerful enough to run that card?

Is the Duo2 really worth the x-tra money if all I will be doing on it is playing games and surfing the web. Which is more important - the vid card or the CPU?

abland007 said:
Mike- Would you take a AMD 64 3800 single core or a Pentium D 915 2.8ghz dual core
Well duel cores are always a +, i'd say always go with the duel core. I have a AMD processor that is close to that I have the AMD 64 3200. I'd say go with the Pentium.

vid card is more important for games. The cpu really doesn't matter too much, I bet your current cpu will be able to play most games with high settings. I have a 3.15ghz pentium 4, 2gb ram and a 6800GT. And the 6800GT is the thing that bottlenecks my computer with high-end games.

As for the amd 3800 or pentium D, well strictly for gaming the amd would be better, it's faster because dual cores won't really affect gaming yet. But I'd still go with the dual core, more future proof. And you asked if the core 2 duos are worth the money, they definitely are.

Back
Top Bottom