hard drive setup

msett1

Solid State Member
Last night I basically had to wipe my harddrive and start over. Of course I had all the important stuff back up... or at least most of it.. haha

Anyways my current setup is my main 120 GB is divided into. 1 Partition of 19.5 G that has Windows Vista RTM on it which is the main OS i am using now. Partition 2 has the remaining 92 GB or so. I moved all the documents, music, downloads, pictures folders over to the 92 GB portion since those folders all grow big quickly. Right now I have about 6.75 GB free on partition 1 after vista and its programs are installed. Do you guys think I set this up all right? Could I end running out of space on Partition 1. I making sure to install the software on partition 2 but it obviously keeps defaulting to the partition. I also have another 160 GB Harddrive plus an 80 GB external which I both use for backing stuff up and more places to install applications. I just wanna make sure what I did sounds all right now and shouldn't cause me problems. I was planning to wipe partition 2 after Vista was installed but I decided to leave it alone in case I have to go running back to XP.

Thanks in Advance for Advice/Tips
Matt

Technically, you could of set the partition one to 65535MB, which is exactly 64GB, once formatted. That's what I usually do.

But, it doesn't hurt the way you did it.

Do you think I will have space issues on my Windows Vista Partition or not because I will try to install all other software on other hard drives and partitions.

When a drive, either logical or physical, reaches 15% left, it will consider itself full. You will get out of drive space errors.
Samsung has thier spin point 80 giggers for under 60 dollars US. Check at www.microcenter.com.
Oh and do have killer prices on WD 160 gig sataII drives. 60 bucks.

lhuser said:
Technically, you could of set the partition one to 65535MB, which is exactly 64GB, once formatted. That's what I usually do.

But, it doesn't hurt the way you did it.

Why 64Gb? Whats so special about that number? Any reason for this, or is it just your personal preference?

You need more space on your 1st partition (the one Vista is installed on)

u can use partition magic to resize partitons

www.partitionmagic.com

Like Mentioned always have 15% Free Space on your drive or partitions.

You can really slow down a system packing it full.

Raffaz said:
Why 64Gb? Whats so special about that number? Any reason for this, or is it just your personal preference?
Nah, it's a personal preerance. It's making a nice round number.

Back
Top Bottom