Graphic Card

collibr

In Runtime
Hey, I have everything solved for my Dell Dimension 3000 computer (yeah i know not a great one), but I have an upgrade for my graphics card, I have a PCI card, is the only thing i can upgrade is to a better pci, or is there anyway I can get a PCI-E, or does that mean getting a new computer, or how much does it cost? Thanks.

To upgrade to PCI express, you would have to buy a whole new motherboard.

Anyway, assuming that you haven't made any upgrades to this system yet, you should upgrade other parts of it before you worry about the graphics card. 256 MB of RAM is barely enough to run Windows XP, let alone current games. Look at adding at least a 512 MB stick of PC-3200 memory, preferably 1 GB. This would cost about $50 or $100 respectively.

Really though, if you want to be able to play the latest games, you're going to need basically a whole new computer. PCI graphics card aren't very good (to say the least), unless you're only playing Zoo Tycoon or The Sims.

You could easily build a decent new computer for $500 that would play the latest games at medium settings.

how much do motherboards cost, and if a bought a motherboard, is it easy to install? Could you give me the parts to the $500 computer that you say could run the latest games, I've never heard of just spending that much, but I'm trusting you, so hit me up, but first tell me about the mother board and updating to the PCI-E.....Thanks.

mobos are usually under $100, except the new ones are a little more, but you won't be needing a great one if you want to use the old cpu.
And no other way to get pci-e except getting a new mobo.
And about installing, well it's the hardest part to upgrade since you need to disconnect all of the parts from the old mobo and then swich the mobos and then connect all the parts to the new mobo. But it's still pretty easy to do, the manual should tell where everything goes, and the stuff only goes to like 1 place, unless you want to stick your cpu into a pci slot or something like that.

^^ ewww at a micro atx mobo. :p Other than that, well lets just say that those parts have like the best price to performance ratio I've seen.
edit: Tried to give you rep for that awesome budget build, but seems like I need to spread it around before I can give you any rep...

well they have many pci cards and i have the same computer, and yes it does come with a really cheesy graphics card. :p

mammikoura said:
^^ ewww at a micro atx mobo. :p Other than that, well lets just say that those parts have like the best price to performance ratio I've seen.
edit: Tried to give you rep for that awesome budget build, but seems like I need to spread it around before I can give you any rep...

Haha I appreciate it man,

I built that system for my friend who wanted a cheapest system possible for gaming.

But hey atleast its ASUS :D

Back
Top Bottom