games and antivirus

EricM

Daemon Poster
most games tell u to disable antivirus while playing the game, but is this really a good idea? arent u supposed to have an active antivirus shield running when connected to the internet? i usually leave my anitivirus on when playing games.

I think what the games tell you are to make sure the antivirus prog dosnt block your game. For example whenever I run a new prog or one tries to access the internet my anti-viruses pops up and asks me whether to allow or block.

Obviously if its an offline game you dont need your anti-virus running, but you do need one for gaming id say. Just make sure you have one which isnt going to hog ( Norton is v bad for this )

you also could probably just make some sort of exception in your antivirus program to let the game connect to the internet if it is blocking it.

i ahve norton for myself, but it is not constantly running. its active protections are off. the only time its on is to run its schedualed scan. i'm not all that worried bout a virus takin my stuff out. i back up often enough where worse come to worse, format relaod windows and i'm back up and running in about 2 hours.

I always have Norton enabled. It's constantly active in the background regardless of what I do, especially while playing games. It doesn't hurt it any. Just for your protection.

depends on your AV program I think. If you're using something that uses little resources like avast, AVG, avira, NOD32 etc. then it won't hurt. but if you're using a program that eats memory like mcafee, then it's a good idea to turn it off IMO. I don't turn mine off and I see no performance difference from when it's on or off but then again I'm using AVG and that uses maybe 2MB max.

cileskot said:
you also could probably just make some sort of exception in your antivirus program to let the game connect to the internet if it is blocking it.

anti-virus programs don't block internet connection. It's the firewall, which sometimes does come together with anti-virus, but you can disable them separately.
And secondly I've rarely seen a game tell me to turn off my anti-virus, but I wouldn't do it. Keeps you safe, and shouldn't really affect your fps that much. (unless it starts to scan your computer :D) It uses a little ram, but thats it.

Keep your antivirus running.

The benifits are better than the negatives..

You can spare 30MB of Ram,

Back
Top Bottom