OMG, is Nintendo already in trouble?

Nintendo will win easily...

there have been controllers with triggers ever since games first came out...

there have also been devices that you point at the screen and pull the trigger, not least TV guns for playing shooting games, which have been around since before interlink was even a company!

I saw technology like the Wii controler being used as a sword in a sword fighting game being developed as a final year uni project whilst I was at Uni.

the point is, this type of technology is reasonably easily accessible.

protecting this idea would be like going back to the first amplifier ever patented and then telling all the music technology companies and amp companies ever since that they owe your royalties and damages and that they have to pull their products from the shelves.

I have a feeling that there are copy protection laws on patents that prevent patents being used to hamper development of other products and projects.

point being that internet link can patent their technology, and they can patent the use as a mouse. but they are not competing with nintendo, the technology inside is different, and the application is different, to uphold a patent that hampered design like this would be stupid.

also Nintendo have had design releases for the Wii on the market for ages, the type and function of the controller has ben known since about this time last year, (one of the principal reasons I held of getting an Xbox 360 cause I thought I'd rather wait for the Wii...

it's unlikely that a judge will hold up a patent violation application so long into a prodcuts design cycle. (world wide release), especially since interlinks device has done so remarkably badly, (and since interlinks device borrows so many concepts from existing products, including the trigger based N64 controller anyway...

it'll be interesting, I can see Nintendo fighting a long battle, but I can't see interlink winning, and I can't see the product being pulled either.

edit...

in fact, what I said above is discussed here.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/29/supremes_make_sense_of_patents/

Haha, wow. When I saw this I thought it was going to be about someone finally sueing them for damages caused after the strap on the contoller broke. For those who dont know what im talking about you should all check out..

www.wiihaveaproblem.com

Should make ya giggle.

Here's how good the Wii's doing. Quick glance on sales of all gaming consoles up to date:

01 - Wii - 350,358 (350,358)
02 - Nintendo DS Lite - 176,901 (6,132,183)
03 - PlayStation 3 - 31,436 (187,836)
04 - PlayStation Portable - 23,917 (4,246,974)
05 - PlayStation 2 - 23,115 (20,002,291)
06 - Xbox 360 - 4,053 (178,069)
07 - Game Boy Advance SP - 1,572 (5,907,676)
08 - Game Boy Micro - 1,252 (552,408)
09 - GameCube - 821 (4,165,650)
10 - Nintendo DS - 140 (6,581,548)

The Wii has sold more consoles in one week than Microsoft has done in 56 weeks. With the release of Blue Dragon this week in Japan, this could well be the week that decides where the Xbox 360 will lay in the charts for the rest of its lifespan. The Nintendo Wii has already sold over 1.7 million units which is 1/4 of the Xbox 360's total - in just 3 weeks. The PS3 is meanwhile lingering in 3rd place behind the Xbox 360. Looks like poor sales over Christmas for Sony due to their lack of hardware out to stores.

Haha, that's what Sorry--I mean Sony gets for being limited on supply. Damnit, I should have made a separate thread for this. For you overseas people, have fun reading this:

Nintendo Wii launch breaks UK record
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/12/12/wii_uk_sales_record/

my house hold has a snes, a game boy advanced, a gameboy advanced SP, a DS, 2 game cubes, (including 4 controllers) and 2 sets of bongos for the donkey congo games.

I also have game cube travel bag, screen and battery for when I can't be at a computer of am in the car...

and as soon as I can get one, (at a normal price), I'm getting a Wii

/self confessed addict...

i have a DS, gamecube and a Wii, i'm a nintendo fanboy, yes.

but i do have a PSP and PS2....i have no intentions on buying a ps3 however

I have a Nintendo Gamecube but I hardly play it. Only games I have for it are Burnout 2, Turok, James Bond Night Fire, and Sonic Mega Collection.
To be honest, it never really caught on with me. It just gathered dust.

I have a 360 now, and I'm enjoying Burnout Revenge and PGR 3, as Burnout after 2 stopped being produced on the cube. Something which annoyed me to no end.

I do like the idea of the Wii though, and if enough games come out that I like, I would be tempted, definietly :)

I will only buy the PS3 if Blu-ray kicks off.

The Wii has sold more consoles in one week than Microsoft has done in 56 weeks. With the release of Blue Dragon this week in Japan, this could well be the week that decides where the Xbox 360 will lay in the charts for the rest of its lifespan. The Nintendo Wii has already sold over 1.7 million units which is 1/4 of the Xbox 360's total - in just 3 weeks. The PS3 is meanwhile lingering in 3rd place behind the Xbox 360. Looks like poor sales over Christmas for Sony due to their lack of hardware out to stores.

you watch,when halo 3 comes out their will be a big sales boom....btw this is stupid how can they sue them?thats like sony sueing microsoft for stealing the idea of a game controller :confused:

TRDCorolla said:
Here's how good the Wii's doing. Quick glance on sales of all gaming consoles up to date:

01 - Wii - 350,358 (350,358)
02 - Nintendo DS Lite - 176,901 (6,132,183)
03 - PlayStation 3 - 31,436 (187,836)
04 - PlayStation Portable - 23,917 (4,246,974)
05 - PlayStation 2 - 23,115 (20,002,291)
06 - Xbox 360 - 4,053 (178,069)
07 - Game Boy Advance SP - 1,572 (5,907,676)
08 - Game Boy Micro - 1,252 (552,408)
09 - GameCube - 821 (4,165,650)
10 - Nintendo DS - 140 (6,581,548)

Haha, that's what Sorry--I mean Sony gets for being limited on supply. Damnit, I should have made a separate thread for this. For you overseas people, have fun reading this:

Nintendo Wii launch breaks UK record
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/12/12/wii_uk_sales_record/

What do you expect? Japan is Sony and Nintendo's home turf. All Microsoft can do is come out with better first-party releases and maybe we'll see the gap close. For the first year, the Nintendo Wii will probably be a good seller. This is because the Wii is cheap and innovative fun. Kids and adults alike are amazed by how you can play with actual motions. However, as HDTV's start to get cheaper and more mainstream, consoles like the PS3 and Xbox 360 will probably start to take over.

That's the problem with these powerful consoles. If you played Ridge Racer 7 on the PS3 with a HDTV, it would look stunning even at 720p. However, if you played it on a standard-def TV, it would look absolutely HORRIBLE. The Xbox 360 is a bit better on some games. When you play Gears of War on HDTV, it's absolutely stunning. If you play it on a standard-def TV, it suprisingly looks good, just not AS good as 720p.

Root, about that other thread on how the media get PS3 test units. I was recently watching an episode of The 1UP Show, and it turns out that the PS3 test units they recieve are actually gimped PS3 retail units. They can't do anything other than play Blu-Ray games. DVD's, Blu-Ray movies, CD's and even memory sticks aren't recognized. The games they recieve are also games that are burned on BD discs and are for debugging purposes.

The last time I owned a Nintendo was their Super Nintendo days. I loved it. OMG, Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Castlevania 4, whew. Those were the good old days. When the first Sony Playstation came out, it was goodbye Nintendo because from what I can see--Sony had better games and graphics were mind boggling. Now with the PS3, I'm just stunned on how good it looks. I did lose some interest when it comes to gaming consoles because I can get some nice performaning games for my PC.

Back
Top Bottom